Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on charge-off account

tag
taz3261
New Contributor

Need advice on charge-off account

Hi,

I got charged-off by HSBC like 2-3 weeks ago for 2930+. I also owe the IRS 1,700 for last year taxes? I get paid 3 times in October and wanted to know which bill would you pay off first? I will have an extra $2400.  My financial planner states to pay off the charged-off account and make to payment directly to HSBC and ingnore the debt collection agency the account was charged-off too. Help need advice. 

How will this charged-off account affect my credit?

Transunion-597
Experian-unknown
Equifax-579
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Need advice on charge-off account

Only if HSBC still owns the account and they allow you to can you pay them directly.  Sometimes they will make you deal with the CA even if it was just assigned.

The CO is a major derogatory and will impact your score for 7 years, even paid.  Unpaid it is having more of an impact because it is factored into your utilization.

Have you looked into the freshstart program?  http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Fresh-Start-Notice-of-Federal-Tax-Lie...

Message 2 of 8
taz3261
New Contributor

HSBC sold the account to another agency. I was thinking on focusing on the IRS then dealing with CO account. Debit collectors are the worst b/c they are so rude...I want to pay the my debt but want to start with the IRS. So should I start with the IRS and a few credit cards or the collection agency? Maybe the agency will settle for $2400? 

Transunion-597
Experian-unknown
Equifax-579
Message 3 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I would start with the IRS.  After that go with the newest first and work back.

Message 4 of 8
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

I'd get rid of the IRS debt first. They can cause you serious pain. Even though it is a small amount owned, I'd still try to negotiate a smaller payoff.

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

If the OC has sold the debt to a debt collector, they cannot receive payment.  Thus, your only option would be to pay the debt collector, which has the benefit of eliminating an unpaid delinquent debt and terminating thier collection. 

The charge-off was reported by the OC, and only they can delete its reporting.  They did not charge-off the debt to the debt collector, they charged-off the debt against their assets in their accounting ledger.  The debt collector has no involvement in the fact of the CO by the OC.  Thus, the CO would be addressed by request for a GW deletion sent to the OC. 

It's impact is serious in that it is their reporting that you are not expected to pay the debt.  As long as it remains unpaid, your lack of attention to the debt, regardless of to whom paid, reinforeces that prior perception that you dont pay your debt.  Credtors are apprehensive in extending credit to a consumer who does not pay their debt.

The peril in leaving the collection unpaid is the potential for legal action on their part if still within SOL.  That can be dealt with by paying prior to any court date.

I would definately place priority on the debt to the IRS.

Message 6 of 8
taz3261
New Contributor

thanks!

Transunion-597
Experian-unknown
Equifax-579
Message 7 of 8
taz3261
New Contributor

thanks for the advice. I can start with the IRS and the state.

Transunion-597
Experian-unknown
Equifax-579
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.