cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on how to proceed with letter recieved from local collector, please. Time sensitive.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need advice on how to proceed with letter recieved from local collector, please. Time sensitive.

Hello all. Thank you in advance for any advice you may give.

I have been in contact with a local CA regarding six collections for medical bills. I was sent a letter with the following statements from a "Collection Supervisor." I have a couple of questions regarding the letter:

A. Should I request that they add statements to this letter agreeing to send me both receipt of payment and a letter informing me of their request to have the collections removed from the CRAs?

B. The letter I received is not signed by hand, it only has the "Collection Supervisor's" name typed. Should I ask that she provide a signature on the letter?

Here is the content of the letter I received:
_____________________________________________________________________________________

This letter is to let you know that when you pay each of the account balances in full, that I will remove them from your credit report. Each account must be paid in full all at one time. This offer is only good for the next 90 days. I will also request that the account that you paid on 5/30/2008 be removed as well. I do want you to be aware that once I request them to be removed it usually takes at least 90 days for the credit reporting agencies to update the information. If you have any concerns or questions about this please feel free to call me at XXX-XXX.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need advice on how to proceed with letter recieved from local collector

Welcome to med collections side of the universe. First and foremost, STOP all communications with CA. Work with OC only. Do you have the money to pay off the entire debt?
Message 2 of 6
southernficoaddict
Frequent Contributor

If they are all medical, I would use the Hippa process.  I think this process works pretty well, but for heaven's sake, follow it to the letter or you'll be sitting in my boat.  Tried to cut a couple of corners and now I don't know what the heck is going on.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I have the money to pay them all off at once?

Sort of. They total $705.00, I could afford to pay them in three payments. If push come to shove, I could probably scrape up the money, but it would be difficult.

They are medical bills, for six separate emergency room visits. I never paid the hospital, so the bills were turned over to a local CA. Would this sort of scenario qualify for the "Hippa Process?" If so, I will research that alternative. To be honest, I've never heard of it.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, what happens if I go back to the OC and clear the debts with them? If I do that, who is responsible for removing the collection from the CRAs?
Message 5 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

In order to use the HIPAA letter process, you must have the ability to pay each collection in full, and payable to the OC and not the CA. For time being cease ALL communication with the CA.

This process must begin by using the pre-HIPAA dispute letter (letter #1) in the link below. Write one for each collection and send them CMRRR to the CRAs. Wait up to 35 days for the results. If they are not deleted (probably won't because they are unpaid) go to step 2.

step two write letter #2 in the link below and use insert A and send along with payment (I recommend cashiers checks) to the OC. Wait 10 days from the time they received all of this.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.