cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice - so close to fixing my credit!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need advice - so close to fixing my credit!

Hi, I'm about to graduate, I have a job offer and I'm using that to apply for a credit card with my credit union. The credit union has contacted me and said "we will need proof that your collections are paid.  The collections that are showing on your credit bureau are for American General, GE Capital and a medical collection.  The only two we would need proof they are paid are the American General and the GE Capital".

I'm trying to find advice on how to deal with First National Collection Bureau and Creditone LLC, who apparently own these debts. I do know some things about settling a debt, like offering a percentage of what the agency is asking for, but I have read elsewhere that it is best not to deal with agencies on the phone. Do I fax them? I'd like to take care of this as soon as I can - but without getting ripped off by either agency.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need advice - so close to fixing my credit!

Are American General and GECap still reporting a balance? Or are the CAs reporting a balance?

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.