cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need experienced advice re: Authorized Users

tag
Workin4aLivn

Need experienced advice re: Authorized Users

So, we've been working on rebuilding our credit for the past couple of years after I filed BK in 2010 and we had to short sell our house that same year.  Fast forward to today and our scores are in the 680ish range.  We're in the process of purchasing a home using a VA loan.  We've already qualified, but it's a new build so the loan won't close for at least 3 more months.  

Question is - the interest rate from a score of 660 - 720 doesn't change, but if we could bump our score above 720 we'd get a lower interest rate.  Both of our parents have offered to add us as authorized users on one of their accounts ( high limit cards, no lates, long credit histories and both parents have credit scores over 760).  Do you think this could give us enough of a bump to get us over that 720 mark or is it not worth it?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Re: Need experienced advice re: Authorized Users

YEs I do but it depends on the lender if they will count the AU in the scoring

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 2 of 4
Workin4aLivn

Yes, we're going to verify that with the cards involved, but I want to make sure there's no potential negative effects from being added either.

Message 3 of 4
annielorie
Valued Contributor

As long as the account is clean no baddies low utilization and long it will help tremendously! Keep us posted!! And two is better than one

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.