Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help desperately with capital one

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help desperately with capital one

I just got a court letter from capital one 2 days ago. Stating they are taking me to court on May 22. I have not received any phone calls from them about this debt or anything. I don't know what to do. I am a single mother who only makes 400.00 a month a this is so stressful. Should I call them and see what they can do for me or what? I really need help.

Message Edited by carlacb on 05-07-2008 03:33 PM
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need help desperately with capital one

Can you tell us the date of last activity or date of first deliquency (can be found on credit report).  and which state you live in? 

It sucks but capital 1 is sue happy.  I
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The last activity date was on December 06 and the card was opened in the state of Alabama and I moved to the State of Virginia in May of 07. The thing that kills me is they never called me or anything. The credit limit was 500.00 but the amount they are trying to collect is almost 850.00 plus 45.00 in court fees. The city that the trial is supposed to be held in is 2 hours away. They sent a court letter in the mail about 2 weeks ago and when i called the company they said the customer service reps could not speak to me and someone else would call me back but no one ever did. When I went outside yesterday to take out the trash a letter was on a rubber band attached to my door knob. It was the same court warrant that they sent in the mail. I don't know if I should keep calling and calling until I get someone to see if I can pay some money a month or what. The other company I went through this with was nice enough to let me pay them 50.00 a month but Capital One is going the hard way.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im sorry your in this position, the best thing you can do if you can not get ahold of capital one is show up to the court, show the judge your income and they will let you make payments.  The bad thing is you will have a judgment showing on your credit reports.  I would definitely keep trying to contact cap 1 to work out something before hand. 

Cap 1 is viscious I cant believe they are sueing after a year and a half.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I figured that. I could understand if they kept calling and calling telling me to pay but they never did. Richmond (the city that they are holding the case in) is almost 2 hours away Smiley Sad this suck like seriously
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

They use collection agencys, but they hold onto the account (so they can sue you).  Generally they do call, perhaps they had the wrong number... 
Message 6 of 7
Takunda1
Established Contributor

carlacb wrote:
I just got a court letter from capital one 2 days ago. Stating they are taking me to court on May 22. I have not received any phone calls from them about this debt or anything. I don't know what to do. I am a single mother who only makes 400.00 a month a this is so stressful. Should I call them and see what they can do for me or what? I really need help.

Message Edited by carlacb on 05-07-2008 03:33 PM

Call the court & find out how to request a venue change to somewhere closer than you. Also go to budhibbs.com, call them or email them with your situation. They give really good advice.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.