Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help fixing credit with late payments and collections

tag
Jojo567
Valued Member

Need help fixing credit with late payments and collections

I'm helping my mom fix her credit. She has 4 collections ranging between $80-$250, one being paid off. I never had to deal with collections and she is disorganized with her bills, so all I have to rely on is what's on her credit report. How do we go about contacting them to pay it off? Should we call or send a letter requesting how to pay them. Once paid, what should we get as confirmation of payment? Is it possible to remove these collections once paid in full and can we remove the late payments? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
mycreditscoreisfair
Frequent Contributor

Re: Need help fixing credit with late payments and collections

You can contact debt collectors by phone. And you can negotiate pay for deletes for any debts you pay to a debt collector. Some collection agencies do them, some won't. So it likely depends on the collection agency is. You can try to goodwill letter (search the term on this forum) the paid collection and the late payments, but that's a bit of a long shot in my opinion. The late will likely remain on the credit reports until they naturally age off around the 7 year mark.

Starting score (January 2020): 454 (TU)
First goal (December 2020): 580 (TU)
Second goal (August 2021): 670 (TU)
Current scores: 679 (TU), 665 (EQ), 658 (EX)
Current goal: All three bureaus over 670

Declined credit cards: First Premier Bank, Verve, Self, Credit One, Today Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 3
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Need help fixing credit with late payments and collections

Who are the collection agencies? That will help us help you determine whether a pay for delete (PFD) is an option once the collections are paid off.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.