Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help for my mother who I think was contacted by debt collector

tag
jevoyager
Established Member

Need help for my mother who I think was contacted by debt collector

So my mother was called today by some place called Dorsey law firm. They said they were taking her to court over a bill from July 2000. Said they represented household bank card services (HSBC I'm guessing), and has been mailing her about the debt (which she's never received). She told them she didn't know what debt they were referring to, and mentioned that the statue of limitations should be past due since it's 19 years old. They got rude and said they didn't like her attitude, and the statue didn't apply to a hold agreement (no clue what a "hold agreement" is and couldn't find anything online). They said they were sending a person to the house tomorrow at 3pm with papers. 

I told her not to answer the phone to them again, and not to answer the door should someone show up. She's elderly and doesn't need to be dealing with random strangers. My thought is they can leave any paperwork at the door (and really, they have someone in place to just drop off some paperwork?) and/or leave a voicemail. 

My guess is they're trying to collect on a old/dead debt, though a few things feel sketchy about it. They did tell her what her SSN was, I guess trying to prove they were real an not a scam. But there's no Dorsey law firm in either the state the debt was supposed to have originated (IN) or where we currently live (TN), and when searching their phone number I couldn't find a listing and a few of the reverse phone call sites listed it as unsafe. 

Any ideas how to proceed? Has anyone heard of a "hold agreement" or this Dorsey law firm? I'm mainly concerned that if it is a debt collection, they'll try to trick her into saying she owes something she doesn't and harass her which she doesn't need. And there's enough things here that make me worry theres a slight possiblity it's a scam of some sort.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Need help for my mother who I think was contacted by debt collector

It sounds like some zombie debt collector trying to trick your mother into paying a debt the can't legally collect. These scumbags will try all kinds a tactics. But nobody tells you they are "coming to serve you papers at 3pm", that right there tells me the are full of crap.

Yes she should not answer the phone and not talk to them .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

S

C

A

M

Message 3 of 8
OmarR
Established Contributor

@jevoyager wrote:

She told them she didn't know what debt they were referring to, and mentioned that the statue of limitations should be past due since it's 19 years old.

If she actually said this to them, than they won't be calling back. Or showing up on anyone's doorstep. They know they picked on someone smarter than they were.

Kudos to her.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 4 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I like the ones that tell you to let your Ceo, Manager and Security team we will be presenting you papers at work or call us at ***-***-****.  I hit "Block and report spam" on my phone. Ignore the trolls.

Message 5 of 8
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

paging @RobertEG
Message 6 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@jevoyager wrote:

So my mother was called today by some place called Dorsey law firm. They said they were taking her to court over a bill from July 2000. Said they represented household bank card services (HSBC I'm guessing), and has been mailing her about the debt (which she's never received). She told them she didn't know what debt they were referring to, and mentioned that the statue of limitations should be past due since it's 19 years old. They got rude and said they didn't like her attitude, and the statue didn't apply to a hold agreement (no clue what a "hold agreement" is and couldn't find anything online). They said they were sending a person to the house tomorrow at 3pm with papers. 

I told her not to answer the phone to them again, and not to answer the door should someone show up. She's elderly and doesn't need to be dealing with random strangers. My thought is they can leave any paperwork at the door (and really, they have someone in place to just drop off some paperwork?) and/or leave a voicemail. 

My guess is they're trying to collect on a old/dead debt, though a few things feel sketchy about it. They did tell her what her SSN was, I guess trying to prove they were real an not a scam. But there's no Dorsey law firm in either the state the debt was supposed to have originated (IN) or where we currently live (TN), and when searching their phone number I couldn't find a listing and a few of the reverse phone call sites listed it as unsafe. 

Any ideas how to proceed? Has anyone heard of a "hold agreement" or this Dorsey law firm? I'm mainly concerned that if it is a debt collection, they'll try to trick her into saying she owes something she doesn't and harass her which she doesn't need. And there's enough things here that make me worry theres a slight possiblity it's a scam of some sort.

Did anyone show up today?

Message 7 of 8
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.