Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help formulating the "perfect" goodwill delete letter

tag
revivemycredit
Valued Member

Need help formulating the "perfect" goodwill delete letter

Hello myFICO members Smiley Happy

Thanks for dropping by. Could you guys kindly assist me in writing the most fitting goodwill letter for my scenario to the VA debt management center for overpayment (education).

Back in 2009 Spring Semester (January-June 2009) I was charged with a $1,431 overpayment which resulted in a monthly negative credit reporting from 12/2009 to 7/2015, I've finally been able to pay it off a few days ago and now reporting as CLS and paid., But still reporting the negative payment history of 12/2009 to 07/2015. I think this tradeline is set to fall off my report on 05/2016.

As you know, VA is very difficult to deal with and they are notorious for not budging on most cases, but I believe I may have a "chance". 

Back in May 2009 I was hospitalized for having a heart attack and a procedure was done to me. I was basically ill/stressed during this time which resulted in having to be withdrawn from my classes which resulted in an "overpayment". 

I am currently trying to purchase a car that I need to help transport my disabled kid, and this negative in my credit history isn't helping me at all.  Smiley Sad

Since this VA GI BILL education overpayment has been fully paid, I wonder if you ladies/gents can assist me in formulating the best goodwill delete letter. I thank you so much in advance! 

Your appreciative veteran  Heart

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
revivemycredit
Valued Member

Re: Need help formulating the "perfect" goodwill delete letter

bump. anyone? please Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Need help formulating the "perfect" goodwill delete letter

Best goodwill requests present a showing that prior derogs resulted from short term events beyond your control along with a showing that those events have now been overcome, and thus no longer effect your credit risk.

Of course, the naure of the hardship comes into play.  Some are beyond your control or understandable, such as medical, divorce, loss of job, and can be used to eleicit sympathy.  Others, such as lack of concern, may not elicit much sympathy.

In my opinion, a good-will request made personally, such as by phone, can be more effective in soliciting sympathy than a letter.

It is hard to put crocodile tears into a letter........

Simply showing prior hardships could actually convince them of your continued risk unless you also show that you have overcome those hardships.

Last, but not least, is that many creditor or debt collectors have a standard policy of no goodwill or PFD deletions, particularly if the only reason is your having paid the debt.

Thus, simply sending a general letter will likely reach the desk of a subordinate bound by any corportate policy.

It is often best to get the name of an upper management official who has authority to grant exceptions to any policy, and direct your request personally to them.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.