Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help in removing NCO

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help in removing NCO

I have two items in collection with this company and would like to work on removing them from my CR.  At this time I have not paid the items, one collection is inexpensive so I will start with that one first and maybe request to make payment arrangments on the larger item.  Can you please advise which letter (and if possible provide a copy or link) I should use for the collection I am able to pay off now?  Should I send the letter first and wait on a response before sending the payment?  And if you have suggestions on regarding the larger item that would be great!  Thank you!!!!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need help in removing NCO

Hi looking_to_improve, I split your post to form a new thread found here. I had to change the subject line but didn't change anything else. If you'd like to change the subject line to something difference, feel free to click "Options" and then "Edit message" to make that change.

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

If SOL expired or if you have the $$$ to PIF, then I'd start with a DV letter to them. If they verify and you agree with them, then send a PFD. Follow the instructions on the PFD which would mean to send the letter and let them respond in writing agreeing to your terms. If they agree in writing, then per the PFD, you'd then pay it right away and they'll delete.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Need help in removing NCO

Unfortunately, there is no one single letter that applies to your situation.

Before putting pen to paper, first develop the strategy you wish to pursue.  You have two major options. 

First, you can just PIF.  This has the advantage of paying the debt, and thus eliminating any chance of subsequent legal action for collection of the debt.

This option might be of more importance if your SOL still has a period to run. But the obvious disadvantage is that it wont bring about CR deletion.  You are then left only with requesting GW deletion after the fact.

Second, you can send a PFD offer.   This clearly has the advantage of possible CR deletion, if accepted.  However, it has potential disadvantages.

The CA never has to respond to a PFD offer, and thus you remain hanging in the lurch.  The debt still remains, so the CA can decide to take legal action.

So, once again, how long your SOL has yet to run is a factor in this decision.

Before doing anything, I suggest that you establish the true DOFD on the OC account that led to the collection, and the date of expiration of your SOL on the debt.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.