cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help please. Medical bill questions.

tag
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

Need help please. Medical bill questions.

Is a medical bill a written contract or something else? Need to know for SOL. Also need to know what to do if I really am being sued. Story below.

I received a text message from a law firm yesterday, they were trying to find my correct location. I stupidly called the number. I was told that a hospital is getting a civil suit against me. I checked my reports and all medical collections were removed from my reports in 2015 and 2014. I've had insurance for years! Obama care insurance. Then we qualified for the Medicaid expansion program in our state and have been on it for about 4 or 5 years now. What do I do?
Starting all over again!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: Need help please. Medical bill questions.

Interesting 

Message 2 of 12
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

It may be a possible scam I know there are some scammers that say they are lawyers and if you don't pay X amount you will be sued and Bla bla so people are more scared into paying the amount (even if they didn't owe)    I would proceed with caution for sure 

Message 3 of 12
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

Thank you.
Starting all over again!
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which state are you in? Did they mention an account number or state the name of the hospital or collections agency? Have you received anything in the mail?
Message 5 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

This is a phishing  scam organizations just sue they do not send emails saying they are going to do so. A medical debt is considered a written contract for states SOL purposes.

Message 6 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@kennerchick wrote:
Is a medical bill a written contract or something else? Need to know for SOL. Also need to know what to do if I really am being sued. Story below.

I received a text message from a law firm yesterday, they were trying to find my correct location. I stupidly called the number. I was told that a hospital is getting a civil suit against me. I checked my reports and all medical collections were removed from my reports in 2015 and 2014. I've had insurance for years! Obama care insurance. Then we qualified for the Medicaid expansion program in our state and have been on it for about 4 or 5 years now. What do I do?

It's a written contract because whenever you see a physician or are at the hospital, you sign financial agreement. 

You would want to know when this account became delinquent and what is the SOL in your state. 

If it's past SOL, they can still attempt to sue you (providing this is not a fraud) but SOL is used as defense. 

Insurance after the fact and/or Medicaid coverage that was not in effect when bill was incurred wont help you. 

Most likely they are just fishing, but i would check local courthouse just in case.  

Did you call collection agency or hospital? If collection agency, which one? 

Message 7 of 12
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

Nothing in the mail. No email. Just a text. I live in Louisiana. No mention of any account number, just hospital name.
Starting all over again!
Message 8 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@kennerchick wrote:
Nothing in the mail. No email. Just a text. I live in Louisiana. No mention of any account number, just hospital name.

Well, have you been in said hospital before? DId you settle any debt you may have had if so? I still think is phishing but stranger things have happened.

Message 9 of 12
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

It's the hospital closest to me. I've been in it yes, but like I said I either had insurance or Medicaid the past 7 or 8 years. Last account removed was in 2016. 1st one removed was in 2014. They are old debts. I know things stay on your reports for years before being removed. I'm guessing its zombie debt now. I can't click on the debt because it's removed from my reports.
Starting all over again!
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.