cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help rebuilding credit after accounts closed...I'm 22 and want to buy a house in two years.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help rebuilding credit after accounts closed...I'm 22 and want to buy a house in two years.

Hi. I am 22 years old. My credit score right now is 540. I had a discover card when I was 18, a capital one, and have student loans in the amount of about $12,000. I would like to improve my score 100-150 points in the next year, is it possible? My discover card and capital one are closed on my credit. I only have a fingerhut account. My payment history is 98% because of two late student loan payments. I make about $3,000 a month after taxes. Can I pay for delete my credit cards off my credit? Or just pay on my fingerhut account and keep it below 30% for the next year? I am putting away about $900 dollars in savings every month. I want to do whatever I can to dramatically raise my score. I owe about $1,000 dollars on the discover card when it closed, and about $400 on the capital one when it closed. I sincerely regret it, but I was very naive and struggling financially. I would like to purchase a house in two years. I have now been at my job for a little over a year. I own my vehicle, I bought it outright recently with some financial aid money, just something to get me by so I wouldn't have added debt. I am so grateful for any advice you may have. I was thinking about getting a secured card through my bank as well. TIA Smiley Happy 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Need help rebuilding credit after accounts closed...I'm 22 and want to buy a house in two years.

What is the payment history on the closed credit cards?

Do they have prior delinquencies, and are they currrently delinquent or in good-standing?

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.