Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help rebuilding credit

tag
JRock179
New Visitor

Need help rebuilding credit

I'm trying to rebuild my credit and hopefully be able to buy a newer car. My credit score is currently rather low due to falling behind on car payments for a period of time due to my income. We have the account caught up now, but the history shows the late payments. Also, when we were going through a rough time, we were unable to make the minimum credit card payments to Capital One and our Wal-Mart card. They have now been sent to collections. The collection agency for Capital One sent us a settlement offer for 55% off the balance we owed. Both of these debts were under $1,000 when they were sent off. 

What are my best options for restoring my credit score? Should I pay these in full, or will it not matter now that they've gone to collection? We are in a better situation now that I am making a lot more money, so we shouldn't fall behind on any bills from here on out. I want to do whatever is best to restore my credit so we won't be in this situation anymore and can get a loan on a vehicle.

Also- what are my options for getting some of these negative reportings removed?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Re: Need help rebuilding credit

Hello, and welcome. 

For the negative things on your credit report you can do pay for deletes, where you settle the debt with the collection agency and ask them to delete upon payment. Some will give you something in writing saying they will do it and others will not but they'll do anyway. Post who you owe, and we can all help you figure out what is the best course of action.

Good luck!

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.