cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help regarding a hospital bill I need to pay off to avoid a judgment.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help regarding a hospital bill I need to pay off to avoid a judgment.

I have a hospital bill that I need to pay that is around $1200 and I'm going to pay it, but I'm faced with two options: 

1. Pay off the entire balance and put it on my credit card and I can avoid having the judgment appear on my credit report. A complaint was filed earlier this month and I called the attorney's office today and they said if I pay the entire balance then the judgment is overturned. Problem is, to pay it off I would have to put the entire balance on my credit card which would pretty much max it out, save for maybe $100-200. My credit limit is $2,750 so that's going to take a long time to pay off. 

2. I can make a monthly payment of $125. The judgment WILL go on my credit report, but according to the attorney's office once it is paid in full then it will be deleted. I'm not sure how true that is. I didn't think a judgment could be removed. It would only disappear after 7 years from the filing date. At least that is what I have known to be true. 

I'm torn between just maxing out my credit card to avoid having the judgment appear on my credit report vs just paying the monthly payment to avoid spending forever to pay down my credit card. I"m just conflicted cause I'm not sure how truthful the person that I spoke with at the attorney's office is being, or if they just lack that knowledge?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need help regarding a hospital bill I need to pay off to avoid a judgment.

Just for clairty:

1. The judgement will stay on your credit file for up to 10 years and affect your scores, ability to get finance, ability to get better rates, etc

2. The hit to the Util is temorary and there is no memory. Biggest risk you face is AA from the Lender by reducing you credit limit. Again, that will not have a long term effect if you pay it off. You could then request it be raised back up if the AA occurs

If I new that the judgement would for sure no go on my report I would personally put it on the card.

Yes, you may pay interest fess and they could be large depending on your APR but the cost of future credit with the judgement on your file may be much large.....

Keep this in mind when assessing your own situation

Message 2 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a hospital bill that I need to pay that is around $1200 and I'm going to pay it, but I'm faced with two options: 

1. Pay off the entire balance and put it on my credit card and I can avoid having the judgment appear on my credit report. A complaint was filed earlier this month and I called the attorney's office today and they said if I pay the entire balance then the judgment is overturned. Problem is, to pay it off I would have to put the entire balance on my credit card which would pretty much max it out, save for maybe $100-200. My credit limit is $2,750 so that's going to take a long time to pay off. In order to get the judgment the judge has to grant one and if there is any way for you to fight it I would do so. Filing for one doesnt automatically grant one and you can also try to stop it with an agreement to pay and requesting case be dismissed withour prejudice.

2. I can make a monthly payment of $125. The judgment WILL go on my credit report, but according to the attorney's office once it is paid in full then it will be deleted. I'm not sure how true that is. I didn't think a judgment could be removed. It would only disappear after 7 years from the filing date. At least that is what I have known to be true. If they get the judgment it is only removed from your CRs if its vacated and that is something you can negotiate with the plaintiff on,

I'm torn between just maxing out my credit card to avoid having the judgment appear on my credit report vs just paying the monthly payment to avoid spending forever to pay down my credit card. I"m just conflicted cause I'm not sure how truthful the person that I spoke with at the attorney's office is being, or if they just lack that knowledge?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

1. Pay off the entire balance and put it on my credit card and I can avoid having the judgment appear on my credit report. A complaint was filed earlier this month and I called the attorney's office today and they said if I pay the entire balance then the judgment is overturned. Problem is, to pay it off I would have to put the entire balance on my credit card which would pretty much max it out, save for maybe $100-200. My credit limit is $2,750 so that's going to take a long time to pay off. 

2. I can make a monthly payment of $125. The judgment WILL go on my credit report, but according to the attorney's office once it is paid in full then it will be deleted. I'm not sure how true that is. I didn't think a judgment could be removed. It would only disappear after 7 years from the filing date. At least that is what I have known to be true. 

I would not trust what they say to be 100% true. The laws vary greatly from one state to another. I would pay it up front if I could, to prevent any judgment. The court (unless its in small claims court) will add attorney fees to it, and jack it up another 50% or so, which is another thing to consider.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.