Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help w/medical bill

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help w/medical bill

I'm new to this so bear with me. 

I have one medical bill that went into collections.

$641 by Paragon Revenue.

It has already been verified.

Should I call the OC to pay and then ask for goodwill? OR

Should I call the CA and settled? How do I go about doing that? Should I send a letter? Will they just ignore me? Any advice? Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need help w/medical bill

How old is the bill? And if it is in collections was it sold to them, or just given authorization to collect on the medical companies behalf?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The bill is about two or three months old.

I am not sure if It was sold or just given autorization. I've had other medical bills go into collections but when I've called the OC, they've told me I could pay them. These bills never went against my credit. This is the only one so far that has ever gone on my credit. :/

Message 3 of 8
Kree
Established Contributor

My understanding is that medical bills cannot be placed on your credit report until they are 180 days old (6 months).  And if you pay within the 180 day period, it cannot then be reported.

If your bill is only 2-3 months old, you should be able to get the reporting removed and then pay. Or perhaps get the debt waived in an agreement to not sue over wrongful reporting.  Others might weigh in.  As always discuss anything with an attorney before believing Kree.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I misunderstood. Smiley Sad

The bill is over the 180 days. Since it was placed in collection, it's been 2-3 months. 

Message 5 of 8
Kree
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry, I misunderstood. Smiley Sad

The bill is over the 180 days. Since it was placed in collection, it's been 2-3 months. 

No worries.  You will find that many on this forum will ask for lots of specific details, because the details often matter. I probably shouldn't have assumed in this situation anyway.

Also welcome to the forums. I'm sure someone else will be by to help you out more.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Google "hipaa dispute" and the first link has information about a process to remove medical collections. It has worked for countless number of people.

Message 7 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if insurance can be billed, if not then
2. see if you qualify for Charity Care, if not then
3.  ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
4. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
5. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.