Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some advice on removing accounts not mine

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need some advice on removing accounts not mine

Hello All!

So to make a long story short, my father has filled out several mortgage's under my SS (same name) due to the fact that he decided a long time ago to simply 'pick' a SS card no matter which belonged to who. I would say this was a very careless situation on his part but I am currently trying to rebuild my credit.

In 2008, the market fell and several mortgages and lines of credit were under mine. I am trying to remove them today to qualify for a mortgage.

I have read in another thread, the words DISPUTE will steer underwriters away and not approve you. So my followign questions are:

-Should I avoid disputes directly to the creditor and provide documentation and letters to the accounts/information providers to correct accordingly?

-If my disputes are granted through the CB and the information is off, will there be a chance that the IP will resubmit more negative history?

Basically, I am just looking for the best approach without butchering my chances of getting approved for a home loan.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need some advice on removing accounts not mine

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello All!

So to make a long story short, my father has filled out several mortgage's under my SS (same name) due to the fact that he decided a long time ago to simply 'pick' a SS card no matter which belonged to who. I would say this was a very careless situation on his part but I am currently trying to rebuild my credit.

In 2008, the market fell and several mortgages and lines of credit were under mine. I am trying to remove them today to qualify for a mortgage.

I have read in another thread, the words DISPUTE will steer underwriters away and not approve you. So my followign questions are:

-Should I avoid disputes directly to the creditor and provide documentation and letters to the accounts/information providers to correct accordingly?

-If my disputes are granted through the CB and the information is off, will there be a chance that the IP will resubmit more negative history?

Basically, I am just looking for the best approach without butchering my chances of getting approved for a home loan.

Quite frankly, what your father did was identity theft and is VERY illegal. Don't fool yourself, this was no 'careless situation' on his part. This man knew exactly what he was doing. If you pull his credit report you will probably find a TON of old derogs on there, which he surely knew about - hence the use of other family members SS#s.

Honestly, the only way to remove these is to file an identity theft report with the police.

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

You can immediately get them off or your CR by submiting a police report to the CRA, and thus get them removed under the identitity theft provision of FCRA 605B.

However, that will alert law enforcement as to the asserted identity theft on his part, which can lead to criminal investig\ation.

Identity theft on the part of a family member thus puts one in a dilemma, but that is the process for obtaiining deletion.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Quite frankly, what your father did was identity theft and is VERY illegal. Don't fool yourself, this was no 'careless situation' on his part. This man knew exactly what he was doing. If you pull his credit report you will probably find a TON of old derogs on there, which he surely knew about - hence the use of other family members SS#s.

Honestly, the only way to remove these is to file an identity theft report with the police.

Noman, believe me! I've had a good relationship with my father since I was born. I know his tendencies and downfalls. Both cards have the same exact name. He has decided to pull a card out of the hat and use which one was his pick. Which one was he supposed to know which was which when they were isseud in ~1990? Both had the same exact names. Not even a Jr or Sr on the cards. I'm not saying it was not his fault but he really had no idea what he was doing. I give the man heat for putting me in this situation but he really had no clue and was reckless.

Reporting this as an identity theft would not put him in a situation he deserves. I also personally don't throw any of my family under the rug but explaining my family values is something that is irrelevant on here.

I value all that is suggested on this forum though. I'm really glad I found this place. I've spent all day seeking knowledge from here. I'm certain im placed in a tough situation but my quest is what is the best approach without having to report my father as a criminal and not diminishing my chances at pulling a mortgage in 1-2 years from now while undertaking alternatives to fixing my credit.

Would there be any other opportunity for me? Thanks again for the replies so far! I never even knew that was an option but the more I know, the better.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

My identify was stolen and when your ID is stolen and you want to get things removed they usually ask for a copy of a police report.

You can open disputes with the CRA's and mark it as Identify Theft and see if the accounts are removed.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I understand family is family. If thats not a road you are willing to go down that is your choice, I'll not say anything else on that front.

The only other option you would have is to claim an accidental merger of your accounts and your fathers accounts due to an accidental mixup of social security numbers. This would probably require you to pull both files, go through them with a fine tooth comb and have him sign an affidavit that the disputed entries belong to him and not you.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.