cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to hit min 680 for fico 5/4/2(mortgage score), could car loan help ??

tag
bluedog357
New Contributor

Need to hit min 680 for fico 5/4/2(mortgage score), could car loan help ??

I have been working on rebuilding my credit and making great strives (worked with a credit fixer, paid of several credit cards, etc) My fico8 is between 685-697. My fico 5/4/2 middle score is 671 and hasnt budged in 6+ months. I still have 2 credit cards to pay off with low limits but high usage, I know they will impove my score but unknown by how much. I have past degotories but nothing in the past 1 1/2 to 2 years. I do have student loan debt.

I need to hit 680 on my middle score of fico 5/4/2 to qualify for a mortgage. We have decently high income(still saving for a 5% downpayment, however our target goal for DP has moved up due to housing prices moving up). 

In the event that paying off the 2 remaining credit cards does not push my 5/4/2 middle score to a 680, how could a car loan work. I know that its better to get the house first, but if I dont hit 680 then that wont happen (we have been holding off on a car loan to meet our house goal)

I know that initially my credit score will be hit. My question is this: how long will it take my score to recover to 671 middle score  from the initial drop by taking a car loan, and how will long will it take the 671 to increase when they factor in good on time payments. One person suggested it would take about 6 months to recover and that after 8 to 9 months it will jump up drastically (all things equal).

I am 100% ok waiting on getting a better car until we get the house, Im just wondering if I can use a reasonably priced car loan as a tool to get to the 680 I need. 

In addition, are there any alternative ways to get the 671 to jump up?? At this point my fico 5/4/2 scores have seemed to plateau while my fico 8 continues to rise.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
bluedog357
New Contributor

Impact of credit score after auto loan

How much would a score go down after getting an auto loan, how long would it take for the score to return back to what it was before auto loan, and how much would a score increase (and over what time frame) (all things being equal? i.e. making all payments on time and not increasing other forms of debt)

Thanks

Message 2 of 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Need to hit min 680 for fico 5/4/2(mortgage score), could car loan help ??

What are the FICO scoring reasons from your most recent 5/4/2 pull ? 

I wouldn't count on an auto loan giving your scores a boost, given that you already have student loans showing on your reports.

I'd focus on AZEO / optimizing revolving utilization and see where you stand.

Also I've merged your other post from auto loans here as they're similar. please don't cross-post on the same topic. Smiley Happy

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 13
niceassets
Valued Member

I would agree with that. I have 2 auto loans, both in perfect standing, no lates, and neither seem to have given me much of a boost at all.

Maybe once they're both paid in full I'll see a jump, but yea it seems auto does very little for credit improvement, but if you miss payments or get a repo, you're credit will tank. 

4/20/2020 - EQ 646, TU 596, EX 596
Message 4 of 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@niceassets wrote:

I would agree with that. I have 2 auto loans, both in perfect standing, no lates, and neither seem to have given me much of a boost at all.

Maybe once they're both paid in full I'll see a jump, but yea it seems auto does very little for credit improvement, but if you miss payments or get a repo, you're credit will tank. 

@niceassets Loans help with age but the best effect on scores is when 1 loan is below 8.99%. Paying off both cars if they are your only loans will ding you 20-30 pts. If you have a mortgage also. Not much change after payoff. Home loan is an installment loan.

Message 5 of 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@bluedog357 wrote:

I have been working on rebuilding my credit and making great strives (worked with a credit fixer, paid of several credit cards, etc) My fico8 is between 685-697. My fico 5/4/2 middle score is 671 and hasnt budged in 6+ months. I still have 2 credit cards to pay off with low limits but high usage, I know they will impove my score but unknown by how much. I have past degotories but nothing in the past 1 1/2 to 2 years. I do have student loan debt.

I need to hit 680 on my middle score of fico 5/4/2 to qualify for a mortgage. We have decently high income(still saving for a 5% downpayment, however our target goal for DP has moved up due to housing prices moving up). 

In the event that paying off the 2 remaining credit cards does not push my 5/4/2 middle score to a 680, how could a car loan work. I know that its better to get the house first, but if I dont hit 680 then that wont happen (we have been holding off on a car loan to meet our house goal)

I know that initially my credit score will be hit. My question is this: how long will it take my score to recover to 671 middle score  from the initial drop by taking a car loan, and how will long will it take the 671 to increase when they factor in good on time payments. One person suggested it would take about 6 months to recover and that after 8 to 9 months it will jump up drastically (all things equal).

I am 100% ok waiting on getting a better car until we get the house, Im just wondering if I can use a reasonably priced car loan as a tool to get to the 680 I need. 

In addition, are there any alternative ways to get the 671 to jump up?? At this point my fico 5/4/2 scores have seemed to plateau while my fico 8 continues to rise.

Thanks

@bluedog357  You answered you question with high util. As @pizzadude posted. Get the cards down to AZEO. Now. What baddies are in the 1-2 yr timeframe you mentioned. If its CO's that wont help. Having balances on CO's even worse. List the baddies out and see what we can come up with. Somethings holding you back.

Message 6 of 13
bluedog357
New Contributor

So just at a glance per myfico (ill look at the actually bureau reports sometime tonight):

Card 1 0%utl

Card 2 5% utl

Card 3 73% utl

3 charge offs (but they are all from the same credit union account so I think they should count as 1, not sure, it was a left over balance from a closed account. We did call and pay it)

A total of 7 30 day lates

I have 2 very high studen loans (should be forgiven after 120 of total payments)

I can clear up the card with 73% utl, but the student loans (they are in good standing) will be high for a while.

Message 7 of 13
bluedog357
New Contributor

The late history is all from the past 2 years, I know there are lates older then 2 years, not sure exactly what at the moment

Message 8 of 13
bluedog357
New Contributor

I should mention that per the simulator paying off almost all (but leaving a small balance) suggest a fico 8 increase of +20/+15/+5, while paying it off 100% suggest a change of +15/+5/ with a reduction of 10 points in experian. 2 questions:

1) how accuarte is the simulator  and

2) with those changes in fico8, how much should by fico 5/4/2 change (if at all)...im assuming less of an increase in fico 5/4/2

Message 9 of 13
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@bluedog357 wrote:

I should mention that per the simulator paying off almost all (but leaving a small balance) suggest a fico 8 increase of +20/+15/+5, while paying it off 100% suggest a change of +15/+5/ with a reduction of 10 points in experian. 2 questions:

1) how accuarte is the simulator  and

2) with those changes in fico8, how much should by fico 5/4/2 change (if at all)...im assuming less of an increase in fico 5/4/2

1) Not accurate at all. Ignore any and all simulators.

2) You're right, your 5/4/2 scores will not react the same as your 8s.

So your 3 COs are paid and showing zero balance, yes? Also, you keep saying your lates are 2+ years old, but in credit time, that's actually fairly recent. If you can just bring all of your open cards down to zero balance except for one, and on that one leave a small <8.9% balance, that will probably be the best you can do at the moment besides just giving yourself more time. And as mentioned above, the auto loan won't help since you already have student loans.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.