cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to jump my credit by 30 points in 7 months?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need to jump my credit by 30 points in 7 months?

My credit score is between 711 and 730 and I’m going to try to get a mortgage in 7 months and would love to get it to 740.
Citi bank card 2500 limit/ 198 balance (pay it off every month) never late
Chase card 5000 limit/0 balance never late
Cap 1 2500 limit/ 0 balance last late 4 years ago
Chase auto loan in perfect standing 329 per month
Kohl’s charge 0 balance last late was over a year old.
Student loan on IBR on good standing
Anything I can do to increase it? Or is it just a time thing? It’s been stagnant for 4 months
Thank you!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need to jump my credit by 30 points in 7 months?

Try and goodwill the lates off your history. I don’t know that there’s much else besides Time to help. Your UTI is great, you’re already in AZEO, so try and clear those negatives. Definitely do not apply for anything new - it’ll hurt your age factors.
Message 2 of 4
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

I agree with the Devil. Definitely don't apply for anything else, inclduing CLIs. You do not want to risk an unexpected HP. And, your utilization is already safely in the sweet spot so CLIs would be meaningless anyway.

Additional data would help provide guidance on what you can expect by doing nothing. For example:

1. What is your AoYA? If under 12 months you should see a bump of 10-20 points when this crosses the 12 month threshold
  2. How many inquiries in the past 12 months on each report? Each one is costing you a couple of poiints which you'll get back as they cross the one year mark
  3. What is your AAoA? Perhaps you are close to crossing one of these which would also provide a boost
  4. What were the dates and severity of the late payments? You mentioned Kohls being around a year ago. Once you are 24 months since your last late, you should see a small gain

Message 3 of 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My credit score is between 711 and 730 and I’m going to try to get a mortgage in 7 months and would love to get it to 740.
Citi bank card 2500 limit/ 198 balance (pay it off every month) never late
Chase card 5000 limit/0 balance never late
Cap 1 2500 limit/ 0 balance last late 4 years ago
Chase auto loan in perfect standing 329 per month
Kohl’s charge 0 balance last late was over a year old.
Student loan on IBR on good standing
Anything I can do to increase it? Or is it just a time thing? It’s been stagnant for 4 months
Thank you!

Leave 1 account with a small balance around 2-4% each month. Let it post and PIF the statement balance. If all cards report 0. Thats a good 15-20 +/- decrease in scores. Follow Devil's advice too, Good Luck!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.