Did you mean: 

Needing credit repair advice--don't know where to start

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Needing credit repair advice--don't know where to start

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Agree with the posters above ^^^

Getting your credit reports from the CRA's is critical. Don't use the scores - unless they are FICO scores. 

Using www.annualcreditreport.com is excellent. The credit reports are free - one time per CRA per year (this is a Federal Mandate but you won't get the report unless you specifically request it). 

Start a file for each of you. It is a good idea to work on both of your scores, even if you don't plan on being on the loan now. Some states are community property states and any debt you have would be added to your husband's debt for a government type mortgage (VA, FHA, USDA).  There are only 9 community property states within the US, but it doesn't hurt to work on your credit reports even if you are not in a community property state.

Rebuilding (or building) you and your husband's scores is two main factors:

• Repairing the 'baddies'
  • Building good new credit

You do not need large credit lines.  Just positively paid revolving credit. It works with installment too, but if your monthly installment payment is too high, it can eat into how much mortgage you can qualify for when you make your mortgage application. This is because there are limits to how much  you can borrow based on your income and your DTI (debt to income)

I highlighted the above because it's important Smiley Happy 

Yes, work on both of your scores, if you're able, for precisely the reasons given here. I've been working on mine since February. My wife's ... wow, it's awful. We're really looking at bankruptcy for her at this point because there's just so much. And we're talking about moving and buying a home, and I didn't know this, but we DO live in a community property state, which will complicate things. 

Personally, I started a spreadsheet with all of my collections/debts. I listed the collection agency, who the original creditor was, the DoFD, which credit reports the debt was reported on (some report to all three, others just one, it's mind boggling). the amount and I kept track of contacts ... if I emailed them, if I sent a letter, if I had a phone call. You MUST be organized. And then I started picking them off as I was able to. I'd negotiate PFDs if I could, or just settle them. Not everyone does it the way I did, and that's ok. This worked for me. 

I started in Feburary of this year. My Experian score was 510 at the time. When I logged into CCT this morning, I was expecting a bump. My UTI was lower than it has been, and I've received $1,000 in credit limit increases across two cards in the past week. My score today was 650 (and only one of my CLIs have reported). Still considered fair, and not good, but consider where I would be had I not started this earlier this year. 

The point is ... START ... start now, even if it's just the smallest thing like getting your reports and starting your spreadsheet. And after you start, understand that patience will be key. This won't get turned around overnight. But the sooner you start, the sooner you see improvement. 

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Needing credit repair advice--don't know where to start

Thanks everyone! Great advice. Feeling more hopeful than we have in a loooong time Smiley Happy Hopefully this time next year we will be in a much better place!

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.