Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negotiating Repayment With Discover Do They Ever Budge

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Negotiating Repayment With Discover Do They Ever Budge

Due to serious medical issues, I got 1-3 payments behind on most of my ccs and unsecured debt.

I am negotiating now with creditors to work out repayment. Some accounts remained current, others, I have been able to cure. Most of the rest have agreed to new repayment schedules/payment amounts. (Ollo is happy with $13/month right now. Love them.)

Discover is one of my problem children. They will not budge from $300/mo which is just not possible right now. Balance is ~$13,000.

Has anyone ever been able to work with these people? They act as if they're offering the moon.

I am selling my condo outside the US, hopefully, I will net enough to be able to throw more cash into getting everything cleaned up.

But, Discover is a huge obstacle.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Negotiating Repayment With Discover Do They Ever Budge

This is not a blanket statement, just my personal experience.

Discover was my worst creditor to negotiate with.  They refused to budge on anything.  They gave me 2 options that were written in stone and would not budge.  In my case I offered them $3000 more than my settlement amount and they refused it.  I had a LOT of derogs on my report and most every other Bank/CC was willing to listen, negotiate and work with me to get the best deal for both parties.

Oh and their Executive Office email, was hot garbage.  Emailed twice about a month apart and got the same copy/paste email back both times.  

Message 2 of 3
jmw1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Negotiating Repayment With Discover Do They Ever Budge

Discover would not budge at all.  No rate reductions.  No payment decrease. No relationship bonus for having the same card for multiple decades in good standing. I don't think they sell their debt. They wrote to me that they were going to sue me from the law firm they hired. I declared bankruptcy before they got to the courthouse. The only thing I give them credit for is that they weren't in the first group to sue me. That honor would belong to American Express. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.