Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nelnet / Late Payment removal

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nelnet / Late Payment removal

Just trying to see if anybody has any advice on this. I have been cleaning up my wifes credit, which thankfully there isn't much to do. In regards to her Nelnet reporting, she was dinged for a 90 late in May 2016 for 7 different accounts. The odd part is that for February, March, and April they reported that it was paid on time, then dinged a 90 day late in May. I have disputed this serveral times with Nelnet directly, and each time I get a response back that has nothing to do with the dispute. After several attempts, I disputed it directly with Transunion. The dispute results came back and listed all 7 accounts as being "Disputed information updated" with a change being made based on the dispute. This was exciting, but when going through the results, I noticed that 1 out of 7 of the accounts had the 90 day late removed but the other 6 still had the day late. So my question is why would they only delete one and not the other 6? The one deleted was the oldest account. I have since submitted another dispute to Transunion for the other 6 accounts to have the 90 day late removed. Any other advice on what I could do?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Nelnet / Late Payment removal

I can only share a bit of my own experience with Nelnet and suggest that you go over to the student loan/nelnet threads that have their very own section in the forum, under Student Loans. There is a lot of info there. I have four 90-day lates in 2014 with Nelnet. I was never 90 days late. I was disabled and on an income contingent repayment plan of $0/mo at the time. The loans moved to a new lender during that 90 days and Nelnet says that I didn't re-certify for the program at that time. I remember talking by phone with DOE at that time, but I can't find any paperwork to prove that I took care of it. I have 18 years of perfect payments before and after that 90 day period. Basically, they are reporting me for not making $0/mo payments for 90 days. I've decided to rely on a manual review and common sense, if and when it becomes an issue.

Nelnet is a bureaucracy and I find them incredibly difficult to deal with. I have filed disputes, then sent letters of GW. I'm trying maximize my score to get into a retirement community for the disabled. That didn't move them. They pride themselves on keeping accurate records and not 'bending the reporting rules' with good will. Someone in the ,Student Loan forum may have found a way to deal with them, so check there. Best of luck to you! You may be able to get the corrections if you are willing to put a lot of time and effort into it and maybe someone in the Student Loan forum had success.

Message 2 of 4
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just trying to see if anybody has any advice on this. I have been cleaning up my wifes credit, which thankfully there isn't much to do. In regards to her Nelnet reporting, she was dinged for a 90 late in May 2016 for 7 different accounts. The odd part is that for February, March, and April they reported that it was paid on time, then dinged a 90 day late in May. I have disputed this serveral times with Nelnet directly, and each time I get a response back that has nothing to do with the dispute. After several attempts, I disputed it directly with Transunion. The dispute results came back and listed all 7 accounts as being "Disputed information updated" with a change being made based on the dispute. This was exciting, but when going through the results, I noticed that 1 out of 7 of the accounts had the 90 day late removed but the other 6 still had the day late. So my question is why would they only delete one and not the other 6? The one deleted was the oldest account. I have since submitted another dispute to Transunion for the other 6 accounts to have the 90 day late removed. Any other advice on what I could do?

Was she in fact 90 days late in May 2019 on these accounts?  If she was then the infromaion is correct, and you should count your blessings that the 60 and 30 days preceeding the 90 day are not being reported.    If she wasn't late then keep disputing. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

She was not late, and I believe it was meant for all the lates to be removed from the dispute as they all had the same result listed

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.