Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Collection Account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Collection Account

I was hoping to get some help as I have never had an account in collections and have an excellent credit score. My credit report was just updated and apparently there is an account with collections for $60. All 3 credit bureaus have been updated with this account in the last few days. I just downloaded my credit report to see what this is, and the original creditor appears to be my internet company. I closed my account with them in March, returned all the appropriate equipment (and was verbally told when equipment was returned, that the account is clear). Previous payments were all on auto-pay. 

I haven't been home in the last 30 days due to international travel so have no idea if I got any bills or communication from the collections agency during this time. I got no emails or phone calls (my phone does work abroad). I won't be home for another 3 weeks so I am trying to see what the best course of action. My ideal result is geting rid of these from my credit reports. Paying this bill is obvious not an issue if it is legitimate.

I would like suggestions on how to proceed with this. In the next 3 weeks, should I

a) Send in a certified letter to the collection company for debt validation

b) Call the collections company for clarification of the debt

c) Do nothing and see if there is anything in my mail 3 weeks from now.

d) Any other suggestions of what else should I be doing?

Any help would be appreciated. Obviously, I am quite stressed about this as we are hoping for a home purchase next year. 

1 REPLY 1
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: New Collection Account

@Anonymous wrote:

I was hoping to get some help as I have never had an account in collections and have an excellent credit score. My credit report was just updated and apparently there is an account with collections for $60. All 3 credit bureaus have been updated with this account in the last few days. I just downloaded my credit report to see what this is, and the original creditor appears to be my internet company. I closed my account with them in March, returned all the appropriate equipment (and was verbally told when equipment was returned, that the account is clear). Previous payments were all on auto-pay. 

I haven't been home in the last 30 days due to international travel so have no idea if I got any bills or communication from the collections agency during this time. I got no emails or phone calls (my phone does work abroad). I won't be home for another 3 weeks so I am trying to see what the best course of action. My ideal result is geting rid of these from my credit reports. Paying this bill is obvious not an issue if it is legitimate.

I would like suggestions on how to proceed with this. In the next 3 weeks, should I

a) Send in a certified letter to the collection company for debt validation

b) Call the collections company for clarification of the debt

c) Do nothing and see if there is anything in my mail 3 weeks from now.

d) Any other suggestions of what else should I be doing?

Any help would be appreciated. Obviously, I am quite stressed about this as we are hoping for a home purchase next year. 

Hi and welcome 

Depending on who your internet company is, this may be an uphill battle. 

You can ask for DV, that wont change their reporting, though. Maybe @RobertEG could explain better the role DV plays.

If you have a proof that everything was paid on time and there was no balance left (keep in mind those services are post paid so usually there is a balance even if service only lasted one hour in the next billing cycle) or equipment charges. They should be your first step.

If it turns out you actually owe money, next step would be to ask OC to recall account from collections and then pay directly to them. 

Which collection agency is reporting this debt? 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.