Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Member with Concerns/Questions on Rapid Rescore and Debt Payoffs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Member with Concerns/Questions on Rapid Rescore and Debt Payoffs

Hello to all:

I am new - signed up 30 mins ago when I found out the reality of FICO vs. paid credit scores. Ugggh...Anyway, I was a career firefighter until injured in 2005. I was medically retired. Unfortunately, when I ended up in the hospital, my credit went belly up after four back surgeries and enormous medical bills - workers comp not involved. I recently pulled my paid credit file and set about paying off 3 State tax liens, a judgment on a furniture loan, and 24 medical bill collection accounts. In all, I spent 20K paying down ALL debts on my report. Whether this was a good thing or not, it's done now and can't go back. I'd rather pay what I owe anyway, even though late.

My score is now a dismal 539. Like most, I want to get a mortgage before the market recovers. I do maintain a 16% use balance on my credit card (secured card with $300 limit), have a current auto loan and several other "Paid as Agreed" old accounts and loans with no late payments.

My question is if I wait six weeks for all the dust to settle from paying off all the debts, will a rapid rescore help me? I believe my next step is to write to the big three agencies and let them know that all the debts are paid. Is there anything else I can do to "heal" my credit any quicker? Any help is appreciated. Thank yoU!

Hi IJsbrandtGA,

I didnt change any content, only spaced-out your post for easier reading.

Hope you dont mind.Lightnin, myFICO moderator

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: New Member with Concerns/Questions on Rapid Rescore and Debt Payoffs

FICO scoring sees a Paid collection the same as an UNpaid collection, no score change.

What will help......Send  G W letters to the CA's and ask if they will kindly remove it from your CR.

CA's (collection agencies) stay on CR's(credit reports) for 7.5 years from the DoFD (date of first default).

EX and TU will have the drop off dates. The EQ report will show the actual DoFD.

Since your debts were from 2005......Are most of them due to drop off your CR, anytime soon?

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Look at your reports.  EQ will have a DOFD on there, go 7.5 years from that to see when they will drop off.  TU and EX will list the date.  Any that are paid need GW letters sent.  Get as much as you can cleaned off.  I don't think the rapid rescore will do much good just yet.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not at all! Thank you...I have so many questions and trouble condensing it all to make sense!

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck! I am in a similar situation but was given very...

Good luck! I am in a similar situation but was given very valuable information on this forum. You are in good hands here.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Good luck! I am in a similar situation but was given very...

Thank you! ...and good luck to you too. I am sick and actually a little PO'd that my credit score will not change although i have not only honored my past debt, but paid MORE by including interest and late fees. It just seems that anyone who pays their debts - even though very late - should be rewarded by the Credit Bureau. I was sleeping better when I paid these debts, but now I worry that I blew 20K for no reason. I just don't get it?.....I am hoping that GW letters will work to remove the collections -- I just have no idea of how many points are given for such things. Anyone?

Message 6 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

GWs do work, I can attest to that.  It sometimes takes awhile but be vigilant.  Also it wasn't 20K wasted.  You have your debts paid.  They can't come after you for those anymore.  Now you just get those GWs going and get that CR cleaned up!

July 2013 score:

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I will! And I hope that maybe exposing my embarrassing credit situation may help someone else. I no longer feel like a girl with a scarlet letter .... maybe someday soon I'll even feel like a worthy mortgage prospect!!!

Message 8 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

2 years ago I couldn't borrow a cup of sugar.  Now I've got my CUs fighting with my local bank for my mortgage and car loan.  My LO calls me once a month and asks me if I need anything.  The weight that's off my shoulders is so gratifying.  Just keep at it. 

July 2013 score:

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.