Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Year -- New Financial Me!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Year -- New Financial Me!

Greetings!  I have been reading through many posts on this site over the past few days and have already learned a wealth of information.  I wish I would have discovered this website a long time ago!

2005-2009 was a rough time for my family.  Multiple job losses equated to a depletion of savings and a mounting on of credit card debt.  2010/2011 was a better period of time, as we were able to pay off (and settle) a lot of debts.

I am working on making 2012 a turn-around year – a year of improved credit and savings.  The ultimate goal is to purchase a home within the next 6 to 12 months.

Here's a quick summary of my credit situation:

Equifax-  604
TransUnion-  564

Fake Experian-  560

Total Credit Extended to Me:  $0

Total Balances:  $4277

Any additional advice to my current situation would be very much appreciated!

After reading through numerous posts, it sounds like the best course of action for my personal credit situation is to send out a combination of DV, PIF, and GW letters for the following accounts.

USAA Federal Savings Bank-

(Credit Card)

Condition:  Paid

Balance:  $0

Pay status:  Collection/Charge off

Past Due:  $0

Opened:  01/06/06

This account has multiple past-due notations.  I accepted a settlement with United Recovery Systems (total scum) back in March of 2011.

Question-  I noticed that Equifax has $87 listed under the “Payment:” column.  Is that something to be concerned about?

Send a GW and ask to have late payments removed?

Bank of America-

(Credit Card)

Pay Status:  TransUnion reads “Late 120 Days,” Experian reports “Collection/Chargeoff,” and Equifax reports “Late 120 Days.”

Opened:  12/01/07

This account has multiple past-due notations.  I accepted a settlement with a Law Office based in Atlanta (the name escapes me) back in March of 2011.

US Bank-

(Credit Card)

Condition:  TransUnion is reporting that it is closed, Experian is reporting that it is open, and Equifax is reporting that it is open.

Balance:  $3130

Pay Status:  Current

Payment:  $99

Opened:  11/30/11

Although it is being reported to a few agencies as open, the account has been closed by the bank.  I am currently on a payment plan with the OC of $99/mo with a balance of $3130 to go.  Currently, I’m working on saving some cash to throw at this balance with the hopes of paying it off.

Although it is being reported as current with recent positive data (about a years worth), there are numerous late fee notations being reported to all three credit agencies.

Kay Jewelers:

(Charge Card)

Sigh.  The internal collections department at Kay (AKA Sterling Jewelers) are relentless.  I’m glad to have them off of my back.

Condition:  TU is reporting “paid,” Experian is reporting “paid,” and Equifax is reporting “derogatory.”

Pay Status:  Collection/chargeoff

Condition:  TransUnion is reporting “paid,” Experian is reporting “paid,” and Equifax is reporting “derogatory.”

Opened:  02/01/06

Numerous late payments are noted (30, 60, 120 days).  I settled this account with the OC last summer.

American Express:

(Credit Card)

I was surprised to see that Amex currently isn’t reporting many details to the credit bureaus:

Condition:  TransUnion reports “derogatory,” Experian is reporting “paid,” and Equifax is reporting “derogatory.”

Pay Status:  Collection/Chargeoff

Opened:  05/01/07

No late notations are being reported, thankfully.

This account was settled for less than owed with a CA, however only the OC is showing up on my credit report.

USAA Federal Savings Bank

(Auto Loan)

I recently paid off this vehicle off in full

Condition:  TransUnion is reporting “closed,” Experian is reporting “paid,” and Equifax is reporting “Paid.”
Pay Status:  Current

Date Opened:  01/2/07

Numerous late payments reported to all three credit bureaus.

CRDT CTRL CO

(Collections Account)

OC:  Cox Communications
Balance:  $164.00

Date Reported:  10/4/11

This is something recent that I was unaware of.  To date, I have never been contacted by the CA.

NCO FIN/15

(Collections Account)

OC:  RCN Cable

Balance:  $69

Date Reported:  8/10/10

Another collections account that I was unaware of.

Ha, clearly I at one time had trouble paying the cable bill.  =)

Finally, these accounts are listed as “Other Accounts”

Nicor Gas

The following account shows up twice!

Type:  Utility Company

Reported:  02/08

Numerous late fees have been noted on the credit report.  Also, I’m not 100% sure that the past-due balance is actually $0.  I think it’s possible that here is a small balance due, so I’ll need to confirm that (and budget some payoff cash) before I send off any letters to correct this duplication on my credit report.

Peoples Energy

Type:  Utility Company

Condition:  TransUnion reports it as “paid.”  Equifax reports it as “closed.”

Reported:  07/11

Numerous late fees have been noted on the credit report.

Amcore Bank

Type:  Deposit related

Condition:  All three bureaus are reporting it as “derogatory”

Balance:  $914

High Balance:  $914

Opened:  8/1/05

First Reported:  08/08

I have no clue what this is balance is for.  I had a checking account with this bank about five years ago but withdrew the balance that was in the account and then closed the account.  Should I send a DV letter?  SOL won't help, as I'm more than 4 years away at this point. 

Thank you so much for your help, everyone!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Year -- New Financial Me!

Bump.  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

Send a GW to USAA asking for either a deletion or removal of lates and CO reference. Ignore the payment column. Lenders will still see a $0 balance and thus $0 payment.

Like with USAA, send GWs to BofA, Kay, USAA Auto, Amex, Nicor, and Peoples Energy. Keep your AAoA in mind, if the account is older than your AAoA then consider asking them to remove the lates vs. deletion of the entire TL.

For US Bank, save up for 100%, all the while making payments as planned, and once 100% is saved, then offer a PFD.

For the two CAs, send a DV. If they verify and you agree, then send a PFD.

For Amcore, offer a PFD. Aside from mentioning the 3 CRAs in the letter, add Chexsystems too just in case they reported there since it is deposit related. You can only send DV letters to CAs.

Message 3 of 10
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

I can tell you at least with NCO...PFD them for the full amount. I did this with 2 of my accounts and they sent letters to delete without asking for payment.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chrisla2077 wrote:

I can tell you at least with NCO...PFD them for the full amount. I did this with 2 of my accounts and they sent letters to delete without asking for payment.

Interesting -- I have a account with NCO from Progressive Insurance, I think on my next round of letters this will be the first company I send a PFD to.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your help, everyone.  I'm in the process of getting the ball rolling and will post an update as soon as I have something to report.  Smiley Happy

Cheers! 

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you again for your help, everyone.  The first round of letters sent has yielded a few responses-

1.)  Key Jewelers-  I sent them a GW letter.  They responded, denied my request, saying that they have an "obligation" to be consistent in reporting.  I'm going to keep trying.  Smiley Happy

2.)  AMEX-  They were also sent a GW letter, to which they denied my request.  They said that the information they are reporting is correct and any "unsatisfactory ratings will remain on your credit report."   Will continue to attempt to crack this nut!

3.)  Credit Control Corp-  I sent a DV letter to which they replied and properly verified.  I mailed a PFD letter to them over the weekend.

4.)  NCO Financial-  This one is interesting.  I sent them a GW letter and included my full mailing address and the OC's name.  They replied with the following:

"Thank you for your recent communication.  I can assure you that we are committed to assisting you; however, we have been unable to locate the matter you have referenced from the information you have been provided.  Please provide us with further identifying information such as your social security number, the creditor's account number, and/or reference number, a copy of your most recent credit bureau report reflecting NCO's listing and the billing address of the account.  A copy of any correspondence you may have received from us would also be of assistance.  Kindly contact me at the above address with this information." 

How would you recommend I respond to this?  I don't have any account numbers, written coorespondence and would prefer not to provide my social security number.

Thank you for your continued assistance! 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump. :-)
Message 8 of 10
izzesparks
Frequent Contributor

Just call NCO they are very ameniable and you can handle everything quicker than snail mail. Plus this way you are not sending your SSN in the mail, they can verify you over the phone and start the deletion process.

Starting Score: TU-470 4/11/19, EQ-482 4/11/19, EX-486 4/11/19
Current Score: TU-507 7/18/19, EQ-517 7/18/19, EX-508 7/18/19
Goal Score: TU-700, EQ-700, EX-700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to recap-  I sent a DV letter to NCO Financial.  They responded with the following letter:

"Thank you for your recent communication.  I can assure you that we are committed to assisting you; however, we have been unable to locate the matter you have referenced from the information you have been provided.  Please provide us with further identifying information such as your social security number, the creditor's account number, and/or reference number, a copy of your most recent credit bureau report reflecting NCO's listing and the billing address of the account.  A copy of any correspondence you may have received from us would also be of assistance.  Kindly contact me at the above address with this information." 

I replied with a letter that said that I didn't know what the debt was for, I don't know who you are, and there's no way that I am handing over my personal sensitive information.  Give the information i provided in the DV letter, they should have been able to correctly identitify me.

They responded with the following:

"Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the above-referenced account.  Please be advised that the above-referenced account is closed in our office.  In addition, please be advised that we have contacted the credit bureaus, with which we do business, with our request to delete our listing of the above-referenced account from your credit profie; however, because your social security number was not provided to us, we will be uncertain as to whether our request will be accurately processed by the agencies notified.  Should you have any information that will assist us further, please contact the undersigned.  NCO Financial Systems, INc. cannot effect a change to how any other company or entity may have listed the account on your credit profile.  Sincerely, XXXX "

I pulled my credit reports this morning and the tradeline in question has been removed from all three credit reporting agencies.  At this point, should I consider this "mission accomplished" or do I need to respond to NCO?

Thank you so much for your help, everyone! 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.