Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New card or authorized user?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New card or authorized user?

Some background: I have been rebuilding from some mistakes from when I was younger. I have 2 medical collections I'm trying to get PFD, otherwise I have 1 late loan payment from 5 years ago. I have 2 credit cards that I had previously that I settled on- they show as 2005 when they were opened, but there is nothing negative associated with them now (they were settled/closed in 2008). My student loans go back to 2004, and are in good standing. Scores are around 650.

My husband has nothing negative on his report, other than he had high utilization on 3 CCs, but they are paid off this month. I expect his score to be back to the 740ish it was before once the ccs being paid off shows up.

My question is- should I apply for a credit card? I don't have one at all (I didn't trust myself for a while). If I should, should I go with one of the basic ones I am pre-approved for, or would it be more beneficial to be added as an authorized user' to my husband's card that is 10 years old?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New card or authorized user?

Always better to have your own. Upon manual review banks can see its not your account and won't count as a key indicator to your creditworthiness.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @donny10! I was just using the IFCO 8 simulator, and it's showing a 40+ increase if I got a card with a $500 limit. Can that be right? I know it's a simulation but I had no idea it could make that much difference!

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It probably won't, but who knows. I consider the simulator a tool strictly for educational purposes.
Message 4 of 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I'm with Donny on both points. In the long run, it's good ti have your own, and I always say any simulator should just be used for information and maybe a rough estimate at best.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.