Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New here(2 questions)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New here(2 questions)

Hey I'm new here and like everyone else trying to get back on track. Started in March with a 498 and right now have a 615 and am working on getting collections removed.

1.I had a medical bill that went to 2 different collections and I am in the process of a PFD with the 2nd one,They told me 30-45 days for it to update. The previous collector is still marked as open on my report, so should I contact them about removal since I paid? Or should I wait for the PFD to go through then mail them a letter of some sort such as a validation?

2. I had a $118 att bill that went through 2 collections, I sent a PFD letter to the 2nd collector and they removed it without replying to me. Should I contact ATT and try to pay it now? Or will they not send it to another collector? Also the first collection company is still open on my report so how should I handle that?

Thanks for any assistance. Hope to learn some things here and contribute.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
needtodobetter
Frequent Contributor

Re: New here(2 questions)

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I am sure more experienced peeps will add valuable advice, but I had the same situation with a medical bill - two collection agencies showing up for it.  I also did a PFD with the second CA.  I disputed the first one as not having authority to collect.  Two CA cannot try collecting on the same debt at the same time.  The first one was removed within a couple of days.

I would contact AT&T to see if they pulled the account back in house.  I would pay them directly before they send it out to another CA.  Also, you can then dispute the first CA as not having authority to collect since it had been sent to a second CA.

Good luck!!

05/01/15: EQ 519 TU 541 EX 506
10/28/15: EQ 637 TU 646 EX 622
First Goal Score: 600
Second Goal Score: 640
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey I'm new here and like everyone else trying to get back on track. Started in March with a 498 and right now have a 615 and am working on getting collections removed.

1.I had a medical bill that went to 2 different collections and I am in the process of a PFD with the 2nd one,They told me 30-45 days for it to update. The previous collector is still marked as open on my report, so should I contact them about removal since I paid? Or should I wait for the PFD to go through then mail them a letter of some sort such as a validation?

2. I had a $118 att bill that went through 2 collections, I sent a PFD letter to the 2nd collector and they removed it without replying to me. Should I contact ATT and try to pay it now? Or will they not send it to another collector? Also the first collection company is still open on my report so how should I handle that?

I am concurring with the first poster to respond:

On the CAs, is one entry from the original collector (OC) and one from a collection agency (CA)?  That is a normal situation.  If you have two CAs on each one, only one of them should have collection authority.

For the medical, I would wait and watch for a couple three weeks so the PFD can go thru.  After it does, I would dispute with the CRBs (Credit Reporting Bureaus) indicating the CA does not have authority.

For the AT&T bill, I would contact them and offer the PFD, making sure they will recall it so no CA will be involved..   As in the first one, dispute any other CA as having no authority.

hth

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

CRA policy, as set forth in their reporting manual, instructs debt collectors to delete their collection if their collection authority has been terminated.

That prevents two collections from simultaneously reporting on the same debt.

That policy is not dependient upon the debt having been paid, it is dependent upon termination of collection authority to a first debt collector.

Send a dispute to the CRA of the continued showing of the first, and now terminated, collection.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

With the att one, att themselves never posted on my report, only the CA afterwards. The most recent CA deleted without payment now, and I recently disputed the CA before them as they are still open on my report.

Guess I will call ATT tomorrow and attempt to pay. They won't post anything on my report about it will they? They aren't on there at all right now so I assume not.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

With the att one, att themselves never posted on my report, only the CA afterwards. The most recent CA deleted without payment now, and I recently disputed the CA before them as they are still open on my report.

Guess I will call ATT tomorrow and attempt to pay. They won't post anything on my report about it will they? They aren't on there at all right now so I assume not.

Yup - sooner the better. Once paid it will not get reported.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You should dispute the prior CA's entry with a comment of "collector does not have collection authority for this account"

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.