cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New here. Starting to rebuild.. Need some serious help!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New here. Starting to rebuild.. Need some serious help!!

Hey everyone. New here to the forums and to MyFICO as well.  Starting to get a handle on my credit, or trying to, and am in need of some serious help! I have spent the 

last week or two reading the forums, getting an understanding of commonly used references and techniques, but I have to admit, I am still extremely overwhelmed by my situation, and need some guidance. 

Through a series of unfortunate events; my mothers health, job loss, and a personal injury.. My credit too a substantial hit. Multiple (and I mean MANY) accounts with severe delinquencies, 2 accounts in default currently, and one (paid) charge off. At the time, keeping a roof over my head, food in our mouths, and our health in good order, took precedence over my financials... And it bit me in the butt severely. Plus, all off my student loans came up for repayment at the same time, I was unable to keep track of them and admittedly messed up severely on several accounts. 

I I am finally at the point in my life where I am getting things under control.. I'm working, financially stable, my mother is (and has been) in remission, and I've been able to get most, if not all accounts current and in good standing. With the exception of the 2 accounts in default. 

A little bit of info about myself - I am 25 years old. Work as a welder in the natural gas industry. I make between $150-250k a year depending on how much of the year I decide to work, and how steady work is that year. I'm to the point in my life where I want a house, a new truck, etc etc. and my credit is holding me back from that. I need to do what I can to fix it, but need the help of this forum and its knowledge, because I'm not sure where to even begin.

My stats are as follows:

Eq - 591 TU - 571 Ex - 539 as of 11/20/2015. I currently have 11 accounts reporting on my credit report. All 11 are installment accounts. I have never had a credit card, so I have no revolving accounts to speak of, although I currently have an application in with Capital One, which I am hoping to hear back on within a week or so. I am going to try to break down my report and all the negative marks the best I can, so that you guys have a better understanding of what I am going through, and how to help me. 

- 1 auto loan through Community Bank N.A. This was paid in full and closed August 2014, but has 16 reported lates, with the worst being 60 days delinquent. 

- 2 student loans through Wells Fargo. These are the two currently in default. I have been in contact with them and have a repayment plan set up to have the full balance paid     off in 12 months. I plan to pay it off early, and hope I can negotiate a PFD at the time. Shooting for income tax time for that. 

- 6 current accounts with American Education Services (AES). This is where it gets a little tricky... 4 of those accounts are through AES/PNC Bank. I make ONE monthly payment on them, but they show up as 4 separate accounts on my report... There are 25 lates listed on the loan, with the worst bein 180 days delinquent. That's one that got seriously out of hand. But that means I have FOUR separate accounts reporting those same statistics. Which is KILLING me.

One of the accounts was an AES/Suntrust loan. It is listed as "transferred to another office". Shows 18 lates with 120 days being the most delinquent. This transfers to just Suntrust Bank, where it went into collections (one of the loans I lost track of). But I caught up to in, they made a deal to pay for less than the full amount, so I did. It is now reported as a paid charge off "legally paid in full for less than the full amount". This is before I knew about a PFD. But the Suntrust account alone lists 9 lates, collection being the worst deliquiancy. 

And the last was a Chase student loan. It lists 4 lates, all 30 days or less, and in was closed in April 2015 and transferred to AES/Chase where it is currently in perfect repayment. 

So so that is the best I can describe my situation as of now. Even getting to this point has my head spinning. Is there even any hope for me? Or am I completely screwed? I intend to send some goodwill letters to Community Bank, and Chase. I will eventually try to offer negotiate a PFD on the 2 Wells Fargo accounts when I am financially able... But as far as the rest of the derogatory marks... What can be done? I have dreams of building a house in the near future ( I have 130 acres of family land ) and will NEED a new truck for work this coming year ( since mine is getting wore out, and I will need the tax write off ). But mostly, I just want my life back in order. It's embarrassing to make as much money as I do, and not be able to get a loan, or buy a vehicle. 

Im hoping I'm not too far gone... Please help if you can! 

Thanks - Casey. 

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New here. Starting to rebuild.. Need some serious help!!

The fact that you are coming here and have gotten all of the information together says something. It is never too late to start. Remember, for both positive credit items, and negative ones, time if your friend. What is your enemy is if you start working on it, then slack off and miss another payment.

I'm sure others will chime in, but I would definitely look into getting a credit card or 2. If you can't get anything unsecured, look into the OpenSky Visa. It is a secured card that can be opened without a credit pull with a minimum of a $200 deposit. That will start showing positive marks quickly, then you can move from there. I would also see if you can get with a credit union. They might be willing to work with you on a vehicle in the future.

Good luck on your journey!

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may be able to get some additional help in the Student Loan forum.    Look into rehabing the student loans.   My understanding (only based on what I've read in here not my own experience) is if you can get the loans in rehab, they will remove the lates/derogatory marks......If you could clean up AES that would take care of a lot of the lates - and might work with the Wells fargo ones too.

You will want to get 3 cards reporting.....secured or unsecured - limits don't matter - Let one card report at less than 10% and then pay it off (keep the other two cards paid off - use and pay before statements cut).

search your creditors and situations out on the forums.....bets are - you'll find something/someone who was in the same situation with them and there maybe ideas on dealing with them.....  Good Luck to you - you can do it!

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You may be able to get some additional help in the Student Loan forum.    Look into rehabing the student loans.   My understanding (only based on what I've read in here not my own experience) is if you can get the loans in rehab, they will remove the lates/derogatory marks......If you could clean up AES that would take care of a lot of the lates - and might work with the Wells fargo ones too.

You will want to get 3 cards reporting.....secured or unsecured - limits don't matter - Let one card report at less than 10% and then pay it off (keep the other two cards paid off - use and pay before statements cut).

search your creditors and situations out on the forums.....bets are - you'll find something/someone who was in the same situation with them and there maybe ideas on dealing with them.....  Good Luck to you - you can do it!

I appreciate the quick replies. As I said... I have a current application in status with Capital One for a card... Unsure of which actually at the moment. But would like to get another. 

I am looking into the option of consolidation on the 4 AES loans. They all are federal Stanford loans... 2 subsidized and 2 unsubsidized. I just got off the phone with AES and since they are federal, I can subsidize them through student loans.gov ... Which would put all 4 of them into one, good standing account with no negative marks. But would the 4 original account from AES stay on my report and still continue to show the past derogatory marks?!

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the quick replies! I currently have a Capital One application processing. Would like to apply for another card but unsure of which to go for?!

Just got off the phone with AES. Since the 4 loans I currently have through them are federal loans ( 2 unsubsidized stafford, and 2 subsidized stafford ), I can go through studentloans.gov and have them consolidated into one account. Would this be a good move? It would get all 4 accounts into 1 fresh, good standing account to be reported. I'm not sure how consolidation works though.... Would AES still report the 4 accounts with derogatory marks? Would this be a good move or not? 

Thanks again! - Casey

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Went ahead and applied to have my 4 federal loans consolidated into one. Hope that the one current, good standing account will bring the scores up a little. 

Plan an to draft up some goodwill letters for Community Bank, and Chase tomorrow and get those sent/emailed out. 

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

The thing to remember is that credit scoring is mostly about revolving credit. Its good to work on derogs, but more important is re-establishing current revolving accounts. You need to establish at least 3 revolving credit card accounts, and as already stated, they can be secured or unsecured. If Cap One denies you (the 7-10 day message is usually a denial but not always) then open up a secured card with Open Sky. Then open an account at SDFCU and apply for their secured card. Once those show up on your reports then reapply for Cap One, both the Platinum and the QS1.
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
The thing to remember is that credit scoring is mostly about revolving credit. Its good to work on derogs, but more important is re-establishing current revolving accounts. You need to establish at least 3 revolving credit card accounts, and as already stated, they can be secured or unsecured. If Cap One denies you (the 7-10 day message is usually a denial but not always) then open up a secured card with Open Sky. Then open an account at SDFCU and apply for their secured card. Once those show up on your reports then reapply for Cap One, both the Platinum and the QS1.

Received an email this morning... "Congratulations you've been approved for a Capital One Card!"

I'm not sure which card it is just yet, but says I received a $300 CL. it's a start! So what you be next... Open sky?! Another card?!

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Received an email this morning... "Congratulations you've been approved for a Capital One Card!"

I'm not sure which card it is just yet, but says I received a $300 CL. it's a start! So what you be next... Open sky?! Another card?!

I would suggest skipping the Open Sky and do a secured SDFCU card (and loan if you have no open installment loan). Once that shows up on your reports, you'll get a score increase for it, then app for a second Capital One card. If they approved you for the Platinum, app for the QS1, and vice-versa.

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I currently have 6 current installment loans... All student loans. 4 of them are currently in application to be consolidated into 1 good standing, good payment history account. 

I will update on which card I was actually approved for... And ask for more info on which should be my next move. I appreciate all the help so far. 

- Casey

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.