cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New medical collection reported. Pay CA or provider?

tag
shellybech

New medical collection reported. Pay CA or provider?

I have been working on cleaning up and rebuilding my credit and to my dismay the account below was reported on my EQ today. I do not have any info from them, and I want to pay this and get it removed. My question to you all is what is the best way to do this? Should I PFD the CA or try to work with provider? I plan on calling EQ tomorrow to find out name of provider.

In 4/1/2013, the collection agency BCC FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT SVE was hired by creditor Not Reported to collect $144 in debts on account number . OB $144 CB $144 1stDel 3/12 Status Unpaid 8/13.

Last App 8/18/13 Gardening until 2014
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: New medical collection reported. Pay CA or provider?

The first thing to determine is whether the debt collector now owns the debt, or is just an assigned collecton agent of the creditor.

If the debt collector has purchased the debt, then the OC would be out of the picture.

By reporting to the CRA, the debt collector triggered their requirment to send you a collection (dunning) notice within 5 days thereafter, wherein they must advise you of the current owner of the debt, its amount, and advise you of your right to request verification of the debt within 30 days.

That will inform you whether they own the debt.  If the information you obtained from the CRA provides an address, you can send them a written DV without waiting for the requred dunning notice.  In that DV, request the name of the OC and an itemization of the asserted debt.

The DV will invoke a cease  further collection bar on them until they have provided the requested verification.

If you dont receive timely dunning notice, you can send a formal complaint to the FTC/CFPB.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.