Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to This Site

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to This Site

Hello there,

I finally decided to make an account after lurking the forums for a while. Ive found these forums to be a wealth of information and I'm hoping if someone could offer guidance. My husband and I are planning to buy a car in a few months when we pay off our current auto loan and buy a house some time next year or later and are looking to repair my credit.

Essentially, I have little credit and the TLs i do have are pretty much negative.

• I have a loan with the Dept of Ed that Ive just resumed payments on, after being in deferment, and have signed up for automatic payments.
  • I have a collection account with Credit Bureaus of America from Charter Communications, from earlier this year in which i completely forgot to pay after we moved. Ive disputed with TU and its been removed and have recently disputed with the other CRAs. If this works, I still plan to pay Charter because i dont want them to start the collection process over. If it doesn't work,  I'm not sure if i should try pay the OC and have them recall the account or try a PFD with CBA.
  • I have two medical accounts in collections with Paramount Recovery from 2014, which I plan to PFD.
  • I have a collection account with Midland Funding in 2013 from TMobile, which I have sent a TX DV letter. I had a prepaid flex account with TMobile at the time and not sure how I incurred charges when i switched carriers.
  • I have a collection account with Enhanced Recovery for Sprint in 2011. Ive sent a TX DV letter to them. I have no idea where this account came from. Ive never had Sprint.
  • I have a closed account from Capital One showing paid as agreed and closed by consumer from 2011. It shows late payments.

Ive been added to 2 of my husbands credit cards as an authorized user, these are low limit ($300) with low utilization ratios.

I'm not sure if I'm taking the right steps. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New to This Site

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello there,

I finally decided to make an account after lurking the forums for a while. Ive found these forums to be a wealth of information and I'm hoping if someone could offer guidance. My husband and I are planning to buy a car in a few months when we pay off our current auto loan and buy a house some time next year or later and are looking to repair my credit.

Essentially, I have little credit and the TLs i do have are pretty much negative.

• I have a loan with the Dept of Ed that Ive just resumed payments on, after being in deferment, and have signed up for automatic payments.
  • I have a collection account with Credit Bureaus of America from Charter Communications, from earlier this year in which i completely forgot to pay after we moved. Ive disputed with TU and its been removed and have recently disputed with the other CRAs. If this works, I still plan to pay Charter because i dont want them to start the collection process over. If it doesn't work,  I'm not sure if i should try pay the OC and have them recall the account or try a PFD with CBA.
  • I have two medical accounts in collections with Paramount Recovery from 2014, which I plan to PFD.
  • I have a collection account with Midland Funding in 2013 from TMobile, which I have sent a TX DV letter. I had a prepaid flex account with TMobile at the time and not sure how I incurred charges when i switched carriers.
  • I have a collection account with Enhanced Recovery for Sprint in 2011. Ive sent a TX DV letter to them. I have no idea where this account came from. Ive never had Sprint.
  • I have a closed account from Capital One showing paid as agreed and closed by consumer from 2011. It shows late payments.

Ive been added to 2 of my husbands credit cards as an authorized user, these are low limit ($300) with low utilization ratios.

I'm not sure if I'm taking the right steps. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Get the sprint account removed using FCRA 605B, ID Theft Provision.

Get yourself 3 credit cards as soon as you can. I'd start with couple of Capital One cards.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will look into the theft provision. Thanks!
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the myFico forums!

I am going to elaborate on what NormanFH said:

The Fico algorithms look for 3 or more revolving accounts (CCs) and the best score bumps will come from having 2 report as 0 and 1 report at 9% or less, but not zero.

It doesnt matter if they are secured CCs or unsecured, just that they report to all 3 CRBs and are in good standing.  It also doesnt matter what the CLs are at this point - meaning if you get a secured card, it doesnt have to be funded at 10k, 500 or even 250 will do. You do need to use them to show usage and egt a UTI calculation. 

It also looks for 1 or more installment loans, like an auto, but any installment will do.  Also a mortgage, and you said that was a goal.

Time is your friend to show good responsible use.  If you have a late, it will have less effect at 1 yrs, then less at 2 yrs, etc.

Any baddie you can get eliminated is a good thing.  A paid collection or CO is better than an unpaid.  If you determine it is likely impossible to get a PFD, then 'legally paid for less than full' is better than not paid.  Some creditors will let you back in if you did a PIF, some will let you back in with a settled account, some will never let you back in.

GL

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to the myFico forums!

I am going to elaborate on what NormanFH said:

The Fico algorithms look for 3 or more revolving accounts (CCs) and the best score bumps will come from having 2 report as 0 and 1 report at 9% or less, but not zero.

It doesnt matter if they are secured CCs or unsecured, just that they report to all 3 CRBs and are in good standing.  It also doesnt matter what the CLs are at this point - meaning if you get a secured card, it doesnt have to be funded at 10k, 500 or even 250 will do. You do need to use them to show usage and egt a UTI calculation. 

It also looks for 1 or more installment loans, like an auto, but any installment will do.  Also a mortgage, and you said that was a goal.

Time is your friend to show good responsible use.  If you have a late, it will have less effect at 1 yrs, then less at 2 yrs, etc.

Any baddie you can get eliminated is a good thing.  A paid collection or CO is better than an unpaid.  If you determine it is likely impossible to get a PFD, then 'legally paid for less than full' is better than not paid.  Some creditors will let you back in if you did a PIF, some will let you back in with a settled account, some will never let you back in.

GL

Thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.