Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to credit and the US - Where to?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to credit and the US - Where to?

Hello everybody,

Like the title says, I am new to the credit system, for I am a new immigrant to the US. After a week or so of reading the forum, I finally managed to locate the Register button and thought about opening a threat and asking for help.

I have only started building credit this year.

In January I was approved for a Capital One Platinum (unsecured) for 500 dollars. Currently, they have increased that limit to 2,000.

In June, I applied and was approved to a Discovery it card, also unsecured, with a limit of 1,500.

Last week, I was appoved for an Amex Everyday Credit Card with a limit of 2,000.

My husband's credit is really bad, so I added him to the CO and the Amex card as authorized user in the hope that it would give him a boost.

I have no idea what my scores are. CO puts me at 756, CK in the low 700s, while Discovery claims I have an EQ score of 711. I tried to pull my official scores a couple of months ago, but my account was too new and produced no results.

My negative - other than the low credit history - are the low number of revolving credit (did I read it right that I should have 5 revolving credit?), and lately the inquiries (for a reason that escapes me, Direct TV went for three hard inquiries in the last month - I moved and had to set up an account with them). I have 6 hard inquiries, the first of which happened in January 2014.

My question is - what next? I will let the credit cards gain some history and weight, I will probably try to change my CO into a rewards card 9if possible) in late fall/early winter, but I am not sure what else I could do. I have been considering taking a small loan, preferably unsecured (if they approve me), with my husband as a co-signer ( but won't his 540 score drag me down?). Should we go for a secured loan? Should I try for an unsecure loan myself? I don't have a steady income, but my husband makes enough and I have always been very conscious about paying my debt on time.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New to credit and the US - Where to?

ttt

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New to credit and the US - Where to?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everybody,

Like the title says, I am new to the credit system, for I am a new immigrant to the US. After a week or so of reading the forum, I finally managed to locate the Register button and thought about opening a threat and asking for help.

I have only started building credit this year.

In January I was approved for a Capital One Platinum (unsecured) for 500 dollars. Currently, they have increased that limit to 2,000.

In June, I applied and was approved to a Discovery it card, also unsecured, with a limit of 1,500.

Last week, I was appoved for an Amex Everyday Credit Card with a limit of 2,000.

My husband's credit is really bad, so I added him to the CO and the Amex card as authorized user in the hope that it would give him a boost.

I have no idea what my scores are. CO puts me at 756, CK in the low 700s, while Discovery claims I have an EQ score of 711. I tried to pull my official scores a couple of months ago, but my account was too new and produced no results.

My negative - other than the low credit history - are the low number of revolving credit (did I read it right that I should have 5 revolving credit?), and lately the inquiries (for a reason that escapes me, Direct TV went for three hard inquiries in the last month - I moved and had to set up an account with them). I have 6 hard inquiries, the first of which happened in January 2014.

My question is - what next? I will let the credit cards gain some history and weight, I will probably try to change my CO into a rewards card 9if possible) in late fall/early winter, but I am not sure what else I could do. I have been considering taking a small loan, preferably unsecured (if they approve me), with my husband as a co-signer ( but won't his 540 score drag me down?). Should we go for a secured loan? Should I try for an unsecure loan myself? I don't have a steady income, but my husband makes enough and I have always been very conscious about paying my debt on time.

Thank you!

Apply for a second Capital One QS card (not the QS1). Other than that you are really doing just fine. I would not worry about opening a secured loan or anything like that at this point. Just let those cards do their work.

Hubbie need to establish some accounts of his own. Start him out like you did, with a Capital One card. If they don't approve him for a Platinum card, apply for the secured card. Get copies of his reports to see what derogs are pulling his scores down so far.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.