cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the Forums and have alot of questions.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to the Forums and have alot of questions.

Hello,

I'v heard alot of great things about this site so I decided to join and see if any one can give me pointers on how to fix my creadi score.  It all started back when I was young and dumn. After graduation, I didnt pay my student loans and now they are killing me.  I have however started payment plans to get them paid off.  Now my question is, how can I better my score from a high 500.  No matter where I go to get some sort of credit source I get denied.  I dont know where to start.  I'm 25 making 50k a year and cant even get a Best Buy credit card.  Some one please help me.  Any advice, suggestion is welcome with open arms.

PJ
Dallas, Texas

Message Edited by DallasPJ on 05-16-2008 10:02 AM
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New to the Forums and have alot of questions.

do you have current copies of your credit reports and have you verified all accounts are yours?

start there then see what you have in collections, it you have past dues in collection those need to be paid.

Do you have an auto loan?
Credit cards?

I hear the B of A does a secured card they will report to the credit agencies. You need to have some positve tradelines in order to improve your scores.

Also reducing the balances reported is said to help. So if all you owe is your student loans you need to try to pay that down quicker to show a smaller balance.

read some of the threads at the top of the pages in the different section and you will frin generous amounts of information to help you.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome PJ!  First, read, read, read!  You can use the search feature to find posts on specific problem accounts on your reports.  You will find tons of great information on these boards about how to repair your credit as well as advice on which credit cards are good, which pull from the various CRBs, etc. 

Hopefully you have a recent copy of your report to work from.  It would be most helpful if you post very specific questions, such as the creditor, your situation with them, dates, etc.

Good luck!
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both for repling.  I understand that thier are tons of information and trust me, this weekend im gonna spend alot of time finding answers to my questions.  I do have the latest credit report available.  So from my understanding, its best to start calling them and see if I can lower the amount due and get them paid off.  Now this raises another question.  Is it bad to lets say lower the amount due to half per say and pay it all off at once or keep a good standing payment plan?  I will look into getting a secured card from B of A if it helps me out.  Right now, anything positive is a good thing.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.