Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie collections question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie collections question

Hello, I am brand new to the forum. I have been working on improving my credit score for about a year now.

I got lucky and disputed one of my collections and they removed it.

Should I still pay them is my question? Or just leave it alone since it's off my report?

Thanks everyone
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Newbie collections question

Welcome. There might be a chance they put it on hold (hidden) until the dispute investigation has completed if it was recent. Then reappear again if accurate. Who was the collection agency, amount, and age? Fingers crossed its gone for good.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's with wakefield and associates. Originally from pafford. (Ambulance ride)

It's from 2 years ago and is for $1900 .

That would really be a bummer if it came back, because it shot me score up a good bit when it got removed
Message 3 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
It's with wakefield and associates. Originally from pafford. (Ambulance ride)

It's from 2 years ago and is for $1900 .

That would really be a bummer if it came back, because it shot me score up a good bit when it got removed

That's pretty recent and high amount. I doubt it will stay gone forever. You should go back to the OC and see if you can make some kind of arrangements with them. 

Message 4 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

$1900 for an ambulance ride? Wow. Its half that here in my county. And thats with mileage, meds, oxygen,ect.

Message 5 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The answer depends upon why it was removed from your credit report.

When you file a dispute, you must identify the specific item asserted to be inaccurate, and the CRA must then refer the dispute to the reporting debt collector for their investigation and response back to the CRA.  If the CRA then finds the accuracy of the disputed information cannot be corrrected or verified, the CRA will delete, but deletion will only apply to the information that was disputed.

Unless the dispute was of the legitimacy of the collection itself, and not of the accuracy or value of some item reported on an otherwise proper collection, then the CRA would not have deleted the entire collection as a result of their finding in the dispute.

Deletion of an entire collection may have occured as a result of reporting of deletion by the debt collector, which may have been done to simply avoid the dispute or because they no longer have collection authority.  In either of those cases, removal would not be final, and eiher the original debt collector could reinsert if they provide a certification of accuracy of the disputed information, or by a new debt collector is they acquire collection authority on the debt.

It is very common for a collection to be deleted by debt collector 1, based on termination of their collection authority, and then a new collection reported by a new debt collector.

What was the specific information that was subject of your prior dispute, and did you receive a formal Notice of Results of Reinvestigation from the CRA stating that they (the CRA) deleted based on their finding of lack of verification?

That will control whether of not the deletion was done by the CRA, was voluntary  by the debt collector, and what restriction may exist on reinsertion of a collection.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the detailed response. I haven't received anything from anyone yet, but I am on the lookout for it. Would this come in the mail?

Pafford sent my ambulance ride bill to my old address, so I never got a chance to pay it before they sent it to collections.. that's what I disputed.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know its crazy man. Last ambulance ride for me unless I'm dying
Message 8 of 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@@

Message 9 of 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

$1900 for an ambulance ride? Wow. Its half that here in my county. And thats with mileage, meds, oxygen,ect.

It's almost $3k here. AMR has a lock on almost all the hospitals and fire stations

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.