cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie needs help...Where to start??

tag
eddienjessie

Newbie needs help...Where to start??

Hello everyone.  I am trying to get my credit straight so me and my husband can buy a house in the future.  Not sure where to start.  Pulled my credit report from annualcreditreport.  I was only able to get my Equifax.  I have sent off paperwork to get the other two.  I have a checking/savings acct with my Local Government Federal Credit Union and I saw that my FICO score as of 4/21/16 was 587.  I have a joint BB&T credit card that is almost maxed out, but I am making payments on time monthly.  Yesterday I applied for a Capital One Platinum card and was approved for a $300 limit.  I also have a Auto Loan thru Ally and have been late 7 times since February 2013.  I have been paying on time since June 2015 though.  Below is how my credit report is looking.

Closed Accts:

Credit One Bank

Date Opened 8/1/09

DOFD 4/2010

$567 Charge Off

First Premier 

Date Opened 11/1/09

Date of last payment 2/2010

High Credit $323

Paid and closed

Verizon Wireless

Date Opened 10/24/09 

Date Reported 4/2016

DOFD 4/2010

Amount Past Due $870

Date Major Delinq. First Reported 11/2015

Charge Off

Collections:

Optimum Outcome

Date Reported 4/16

Assigned 12/15

DOFD 7/15

$86 unpaid

Optimum

Date Reported 4/16

Assigned 12/15

DOFD 7/15

$166 unpaid

Optimum

Date Reported 4/16

Assigned 12/15

DOFD 7/15

$475 unpaid

Optimum

Date Reported 3/15

Assigned 10/14

DOFD 7/14

$86 unpaid

Bull City Fin. Solutions

Date Reported 3/16

Assigned 10/13

DOFD 9/13

$622 Paid

Please help me!!  Need to know where to start.  Thanks for you help, Jessica

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Re: Newbie needs help...Where to start??

OP, let me state the obvious - going forward don't purchase anything on a card that you cannot pay cash for or have a specific date to pay off and never be late on any payment.  Ever.  Banks like things clean, run your personal $ with this in mind.  Credit is a gift

Message 2 of 4
eddienjessie

Yes, I plan to pay on my current credit card that has the high limit and not spend.  When my capital one card comes I plan to just spend for gas and pay off right away.  

Message 3 of 4
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@eddienjessie wrote:

Yes, I plan to pay on my current credit card that has the high limit and not spend.  When my capital one card comes I plan to just spend for gas and pay off right away.  

I am not the only one on the boards that did not respect the gift of credit and lost it.  for many once that happens one will never dip a pinky in that pond again.  never be late and keep utilization low.  that is all you need to know.  set up auto payments for the card min as a fallback if you have to but never ever be fcking late.  If you focus on just one or two cards, cap1 being at the top of the list for me at least - fully explore the limits and always pif even 2x a month if you have to then good things will come of it.  keep it clean and the results will happen in time.  good luck!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.