cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Steps?? Cant seem to get these old neg accounts off my transunion and experian?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Next Steps?? Cant seem to get these old neg accounts off my transunion and experian?

To make a long story short, I have two accounts I can't seem to get removed off two reporting beaurus.

The accounts are wayyy over 7 years old. I originally opened the accounts back in 2004( they were school loans).

Got bought out again or something in 2011,and obviously at that time,I  never paid on that account.

I was able to get it removed on my Equifax, but can't seem to get it taken off my Transunion or Experian.

I did the disputes online.

What should be my next steps? Should I try sending in mail disputes versus online disputes? Transunion and Experian, both state the account will fall off at the end of next year(which isn't accurate, its supposed to be this past september.)

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Next Steps?? Cant seem to get these old neg accounts off my transunion and experian?

Were they federal or private student loans?

When did they first become delinquent, after which they remained delinquent?

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Next Steps?? Cant seem to get these old neg accounts off my transunion and experian?

I believe they were Sallie Mae loans backed by federal goverment or something if im not mistaken.

I never paid on them. Took the loans out back in 2004 or so. They were like bought back by the government around 2011 is what it looks like. I never paid on them. Been almost 11 years.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Transunion is "first reporting it as Oct 1, 2011." This would make the first deliquent payment nov 1, 2011. correct?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is what my Credit Karma Says.

Opened Oct 12, 2011 (7 yrs, 1 mo) Times 30/60/90 days late 0/0/0

Message 5 of 9
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Federal student loans have different rules. The only way you are going to make those go away is to pay them or get some sort of forgiveness. I would suggest you rehab them and start paying. Once you are out of rehab, they should remove the derogs and make them positive tradelines. I'm actually surprised you have not been garnished or had your tax refunds taken as long as they have been delinquent.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the best steps, is to either A) Try to write a letter to each credit beauru and ask for removal because its older than 7 years, or B) just wait till July of next year when they fall off.

The credit bearuru that is not reporting on my score is like 660, the bearurus it is reporting on its 518 Smiley Sad

its the ONLY neg items

Message 7 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The HIgher Education Act includes subsections that specifically exempt certain federal student loans from all of the normal credit report exclusion provisions of the FCRA until the loan is repaid.

That means that there is no 7 year exclusion provision if the loan is a federal student loan that is coverred under the Higher Edcation Act.

You need to determine the type of federal student loan, and whether or not it is subject to any credit report exclusion provisions before contacting the CRA and asserting any failure to have excluded.

Message 8 of 9
NeverGivinUp
New Contributor

I don't want to scare you but in 1995 when my husband & were applying for a mortgage, we learned I had a small student loan (I had completely forgotten about & never paid on).  It had remained on my Credit for about 22 yrs!  It never did come off until PIF.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.