Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Steps for Stellar

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Next Steps for Stellar

Hello!!

Long time lurker on here but my first time posting. 

I have paid off my last remaining collection -- $248 Stellar Recovery CA Comcast OC

I called Comcast directly and asked that the pull the account back from Stellar as I've seen many posts here indicating this was possible. However, Comcast indicated that due to the age of my account & that it will age off in 1 year, they "could not" pull it back. I went ahead and paid Comcast anyway. 

Is there any way to get this removed from my credit report? GW to Stellar? If I've read correctly, a DV wouldn't help in this circumstance as Stellar did own the debt when I made payment, correct?

Thank you everyone for all the assistance you have indirectly provided to me over the years! I am in the final stages of cleaning/rebuilding and hope to transition to gardening in the very near future! 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Next Steps for Stellar

Since you paid Comcast and they accepted your payment, you could dispute saying Stellar doesn't have collection authority.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Since you paid Comcast and they accepted your payment, you could dispute saying Stellar doesn't have collection authority.
Stellar did have authority at the time it was paid so the only thing they are obligated to do it report it as paid.
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is no basis for a dispute.

The collection reports their collection authority while the debt was unpaid.

Payment of the debt does not negate that fact.

CRA policy is that a debt collector should not delete based on payment of a debt.

There is no inaccuracy in their reporting of the collection upon which to base a dispute.

Similarly, a DV at this point would be meaningless.

A DV only, if sent within 30 days of dunning notice, imposes a cease collection bar.  If sent later, it imposes no restrictions.

Even if timely, a DV does not set any period for or requirement to respond.

Since there is no longer an outstanding debt, the debt collector is no longer attempting any collection, and thus any cease collection bar would be meaningless.

The proper course is to request good will deletion from the reporting debt collector.

Sending disputes or debt validation requests is not likely to foster good will, and might in fact be counter-productive.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Stellar did have authority at the time it was paid so the only thing they are obligated to do it report it as paid.

This is what I was worried I had done to myself. Thank you for confirming! 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

There is no basis for a dispute.

The collection reports their collection authority while the debt was unpaid.

Payment of the debt does not negate that fact.

CRA policy is that a debt collector should not delete based on payment of a debt.

There is no inaccuracy in their reporting of the collection upon which to base a dispute.

Similarly, a DV at this point would be meaningless.

A DV only, if sent within 30 days of dunning notice, imposes a cease collection bar.  If sent later, it imposes no restrictions.

Even if timely, a DV does not set any period for or requirement to respond.

Since there is no longer an outstanding debt, the debt collector is no longer attempting any collection, and thus any cease collection bar would be meaningless.

The proper course is to request good will deletion from the reporting debt collector.

Sending disputes or debt validation requests is not likely to foster good will, and might in fact be counter-productive.

In hindsight, I should have negotiated with Stellar with a PFD. Thanks for all of the info! I'll get to work on a GW letter right away. 

Do people tend to have more luck with email vs mailed letters? I'm under a bit of a time crunch so if email will work, that would be awesome. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.