Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next credit card to apply for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Next credit card to apply for?

1) Put ZERO value into Credit Karma 'odds' or recommendations = ZERO
Don't get me wrong, if you ✔ out my post over the years ya'll will see I actually like CK...for the 'meat' but one must leave the 'bone'
The meat is the DATA and weekly alerts regarding CHANGES of said credit data, which is 👍 and is as quick and many times quicker than the paid services...that is the major feather in CK's cap ( other than being great marketers bringing credit up as in issue for more Americans to pay attention to) besides that and only THAT...

Most everything else = BONES
Why?
CK ( like Self-Lender...I'll get to tgem next) is a marketing 'honey-trap' ( no offense, I'm a marketer too...but a squeeze page is a squeeze page) the sole purpose from a business POV is to 'honey-trap' credit info seekers in with FREE stuff ( the meat, etc) then allow the ADVERTISORS to have their 'way' with the ducks in a barrel😱

Said in another way...ALL 'odds' are nothing more than COMMERCIALS for their ADVERTISORS ( who PAY the bills) those are NOT 'true' odds they are heavily targeted come ons to obtain apps FOR their ADVERTISORS and CK 'must' produce the RESULTS their bill paying advertisers seek or the jig is up....the odds are absolutely MEANINGLESS with regards to ANYTHING other than to entice apps and take NO REAL measures towards ones chances of approval, it's just a PLOY to 'feed' the vendors that pay the 'rent' some business from the site or vendors wouldn't want to ADVERTISE.
Want me to easily PROVE IT...ok here's the oh s*it moment, pie in 'da face clue....
CK gives a Free Vantage score, right? Not an actual FICO score...we got that, correct?
Alright, so when the 'odds' say that applicants with xyz score have a 1,2,3% chance of approval on ONE ✋ their speaking in general of FICO scores but on the other ✋ they are giving out a Vantage score as the score to calculate your 'odds'...can we say apples vs oranges, they are 2 totally different scores and THAT would be 'if' CK were doing any real sorting...they aren't.
The advertisors say...hey I want anybody with so n so to be 'pitched' my way as a LEAD for me.
X amount of debt, the high % loan company wants 'em
Y 'like score' from Vantage, send 'em my way
Why don't you see Discover on CK anymore...they and Experian started their own 'honey-trap' site to 'pimp' apps and Experian products w/o any other competition ( their 'honey' is a Free legit Experian score...once a month...no data, just the score) there is NOTHING wrong with either site, it's the American way...we just have to know which is the legit Freebie and which is the stuff being hustled....

CK = Data👍 Scores & Odds =No
CreditScorecard = Ficos score👍 but Data = No

Someone already mentioned and I've 'beat-up' the Self-Lender executive on this forum in the past ( decent guy, I guess) about the fact the SL is simply a marketer marketing a product we had at my CU gig back in college, in 1990....meaning it's OLD, nothing new...just clever marketing to the naive ( like CK)

My main 2 issues with the SL product are #1 it's expensive given that a piss load of CUs/community banks would do the same thing w/o set up fees etc ( Again, SL has to recoup the cost of all that 'marketing' AND pay the banking partner..."wait...they aren't THE bank?" no sir/ma'am they are NOT a lending institution of any sort, so quite a few things 'have' to be paid, hence the hyped up cost for a readily available CHEAP loan) again for those who don't know that, that's lipstick on that 🐖 she's cute...😱 but that's the minor issue
#2 My major issue I educate my cliebts on is....If one is going to use these vehicle, at least ride with a potential LONG TERM possible marriagable entity not a 'side-piece'
Meaning a CU/bank opens a possible relationship that could lead to unsecured CC's, auto loans, mortgages etc...Why?
Because, whom do CU's mostly grow their portfolio with...that's right, their own MEMBERS, especially members who are building a beautiful credit profile, right before their eyes....don't think the vendor isn't doing their ARs ( soft pull account reviews) seeking who to offer credit items to...so all things equal....does it make more sense to be in bed with Langley FCU with their 'credit builder' loan and let them possibly be your mortgage or car note holder or mess around and overpay SL , who can't even spit up a basic CC within the relationship😌

*Last point....even if the institution that you prefer only does the 'cash' from you deposit more traditional secured loan...it's no BIG deal!!!!
Because, many times 'we' just don't see the forest for the trees we over complicated boo boo
All one has to do is deposit $500 or $1000 or the RENT money in an account for 10 MINUTES then ask the bank/CU to issue a $500 or $1000 'loan' secured by the CASH you just put in = simple, you just SELF LENDED your darn self and the % is boo boo size with NO FEES with an institution of your choosing, with their name appearring on your credit report....pay that sucker for 8-10 months and see if your chosen institution won't want to get deeper in your wallet with other credit products they offer😜
You're welcome✌
Message 11 of 26
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@MrDFinance wrote:
I don't recommend applying for a card every month.... Even for a person with good credit this will damage their score....

I suggest considing a self lender loan and trying discover again.... Discover is the best secured card out there with the cash back and the option to product change to the 5% cash back Version after u graduate from secured.... And with self lender you will add alot of postitive payment history.... I was able to raise my score by 132 points in a year with the combination of 2 secured cards.... a self Lender Loan and 2 car loans being paid on time...

You can product change after the first statement. I called in the day I received my card and the switch happened immediately after my statement posted.

To the OP, I was approved for my secured Discover with a 512 Fico. Cold app it. Just make sure you have enough for a workable balance. You can add more later, but you have to call in to get approval.

In regards to self lender, its fine if you don't have any inatallment loans and need a quick score boost for a year. Yes, it's a little pricey, but you don't get a HP.

As for the Cap1 secured. Once it graduates, you won't get a CLI. Apply for a Platinum and close it. After opening the platinum, request a CLI in month 4-5. It will only be $100, but that's normal. You'll still get your credit steps increase in month 6. About the same time you request the CLI, start checking for an upgrade. I upgraded my platinum in month 4 to a Quicksilver. AVOID the Quicksilver One as it's too hard to product change later.

Message 12 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) Discover is the #1 secured option hands down...won't get into 1st year cash back & that jazz because I don't believe in a builder doing enough 'spend' during the initial 'build' stage anyway so IMO it's a mute point.
The BIG issue for me is GROWTH and AGING
A $200 secured Discover TL can GROW up to be a $20k unsecured TL aging back to day ONE...that = powerful
Along with Discover having No AF, a low starting deposit and burning only ONE HP vs Cap-1's appetite for 3 HP's to obtain ANY card...no brainer

Cap-1 used to be a top self choice for me to rec for my clients but no more.

Once one considers it takes 3 HPs to get the initial card ( where with strategy that could be 3 different opportunities from 3 different lenders vs blowing all 3 on one) secondly once one has a starter card with Cap-1 they 'red-line' or anchor it as a 'special-needs' card NEVER to fully grow...they will ALWAYS push re-applying for a 'new' card ( with 3 MORE HPs of course) then all of a sudden BAM here's a new baby aged brand new TL with 10-15k CL where the aged account becomes an anchor stuck @ say 2-3k CL max cutting into one's AAOA for no real reason at all except their corporate policy....most of those applicaants would not have applied for new credit had Cap-1 simply not redlined the existing account
Based upon this I prefer to app Cap-1 in phase 2 of credit building, when their more likely to approve for one of their 'real' cards vs a 3HP anchor starter card from them, otherwise a rebuilder is guaranting themselves 6 HPs just from Cap-1 to get to a decent TL...
Message 13 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow That is extremely valuable information. When you say 3 hps which credit card are they? Platinum secured, platinum unsecured and quick silver? I suppose I can apply for disco, graduate that one and then once my score is high enough go straight for the quick silver and save at least 1 hp. that’s the card I have my eye on for the future.

As for the SL I’m definitely gonna try a CU cause some really good points were made on this thread so far about it.
Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you go from platinum secured to quick silver? What did you do with the platinum close it or keep it?
Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap-1 🏃 3 HPs for ALL thier cards...it's just their policy, period.

So Yes, you can get a Porsche with 1 HP but NOT a Cap-1 $500 CC of any type😁

Cap-1 is about the only vendor I know of that runs a triple pull, like freaking mortgage app for a CC but it us what it is...

Just so there is no misunderstanding I'm referring to them HPing each of the 3 CRAs not them pulling 3 from one bureau

But the fact is most companies choose one CRA and perhaps 2 ( Citi will double pull) from time to time, however Cap-1 as a corporate policy pulls every bureau ( it's their company, they can do as they please)

I'm not trying to bash Cap-1...I've got the QS card you desire ( don't use it but cute looking card) my question for you to consider is WHY you're 'eyeing' the card...

I know marketing sucks us to 'who the freak' knows decisions but b4 you let the game play you...play the game....what does the QS have...other than 'cute' marketing and paid for pitch people on 📺

What 1.5% cash back....a gazillion Bert n Ernie, Yellow, Red, White & Green cards offer that crap....there all special Cap-1 only protections via Visa or MC that my Cap-1 card offers that isn't the same as my CU Visa Signature cards, so WHAT's so special about the QS...again the design is cool and Sam Jackson ads are cool but truth be told it's just the carbon copy of a bunch of other 1.5% Cash back cards....outside of Cap-1 routinely charging higher % rates what's the lure

The green Cash back card you see a lot of folks on these forum have in their sigs from Navy ( I've got that one just don't do the siggy thing) anyway same 1.5% cash back and it slides across the counter the same as my QS except if course I use the CU card and the QS looks nice in the sock drawer😊
Im mostly jk but pointing out you want to understand WHY you eye the QS and once you conclude it's nonsense choose your vendors carefully and don't let the ads play you
Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Incredible insight thank you very much. Admittedly, I’m highly susceptible to marketing. Bully for them if they set up a brilliant funnel of a honey trap. This is America, can’t be mad at them but moving forward, thanks to your insight I’ll be much less naive. Thanks again.
Message 17 of 26
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Did you go from platinum secured to quick silver? What did you do with the platinum close it or keep it?

I closed the secured once it did it's job because it will not grow, ever. Cap1 will allow you to product change your cards (except the secured and journey). The value in this is being able to get a prime card you wouldn't be approved for normally. So, you can apply for a platinum, and 4 month's later convert it to a Quicksilver, Savor1, or Venture1. All cards that require excellent credit for approval.

In my case, I opened the secured. After about 8 month's I opened the qs1 and closed the secured. I opened a Discover secured and concentrated my spend on that for the last year as the cash back match meant I would get between 2-10% cash back for the first year. I then opened a cap1 platinum and 4 mos later converted it to a qs. Immediately after the conversion I applied for a CLI. 2 moths later I received my steps increase. Since it's so hard to to convert the qs1, I will most likely combine it into my QS. Unless, now that the Savor1 exists, I can PC to that instead.

Just keep in mind, while you can PC to a prime card, the only thing you're changing is the rewards structure. You wont get a lower rate and it won't grow very fast. But when you're re/building, a decent rewards card is usually out of reach. I couldn't even get one from my CU who I've been with for years, so this was a huge plus when I started rebuilding.

Message 18 of 26
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Cap-1 🏃 3 HPs for ALL thier cards...it's just their policy, period.

So Yes, you can get a Porsche with 1 HP but NOT a Cap-1 $500 CC of any type😁

Cap-1 is about the only vendor I know of that runs a triple pull, like freaking mortgage app for a CC but it us what it is...

Just so there is no misunderstanding I'm referring to them HPing each of the 3 CRAs not them pulling 3 from one bureau

But the fact is most companies choose one CRA and perhaps 2 ( Citi will double pull) from time to time, however Cap-1 as a corporate policy pulls every bureau ( it's their company, they can do as they please)

I'm not trying to bash Cap-1...I've got the QS card you desire ( don't use it but cute looking card) my question for you to consider is WHY you're 'eyeing' the card...

I know marketing sucks us to 'who the freak' knows decisions but b4 you let the game play you...play the game....what does the QS have...other than 'cute' marketing and paid for pitch people on 📺

What 1.5% cash back....a gazillion Bert n Ernie, Yellow, Red, White & Green cards offer that crap....there all special Cap-1 only protections via Visa or MC that my Cap-1 card offers that isn't the same as my CU Visa Signature cards, so WHAT's so special about the QS...again the design is cool and Sam Jackson ads are cool but truth be told it's just the carbon copy of a bunch of other 1.5% Cash back cards....outside of Cap-1 routinely charging higher % rates what's the lure

The green Cash back card you see a lot of folks on these forum have in their sigs from Navy ( I've got that one just don't do the siggy thing) anyway same 1.5% cash back and it slides across the counter the same as my QS except if course I use the CU card and the QS looks nice in the sock drawer😊
Im mostly jk but pointing out you want to understand WHY you eye the QS and once you conclude it's nonsense choose your vendors carefully and don't let the ads play you

The qs is highly rated for its ease of use in redeeming rewards, which also post almost immediately. It's not a bad card and personally, I prefer it over my NFCU Cash Rewards. My payments post in 1-2 days, my rewards post in 1-2 days, when I redeem for statement credit it posts in 1-2 days. In comparison, my NFCU card takes up to 5 days for payments, up to a month for rewards to show, and up to 5 days for statement credit to post. People just go gaga over the NFCU cards because of the generous limits they give out, even if your credit sucks. Also, the qs was the first 1.5% cash back card making everyone else the carbon copies.

While you can maximize the use of hard pulls elsewhere, if you dig through all the b.s., the only real complaints people have about cap1 are the triple pull and slow growth of limits. My PayPal cash back will probably grow to upwards of $5k in less than 9 months, but I don't have to worry about cap1 balance chasing me, slashing my limits, or closing my account because my Discover reported a 40% UTI for one month. That kind of peace of mind is worth 1 or 2 extra HP. 

I mean, they could be like Chase. 2 HP applying through the dealership, then 2 HP to actually do my auto loan. And I went directly to them first before the dealership. SMDH....

Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brian, I'll admit I'm NOT a big 'rewards' chaser...my point was 1.5% Cash = 1.5%

And like it or not there are a LOT of the same ole 2 step in the market, that's where the carbon copy statement comes from.

Also btw actually Discover INVENTED Cash Back as a 'thing' in the mid 1980's NOT Capital One (I'm from Chicago, where Sears(Discover's original owner) was based my Senior of high school, waiting to join the USMC I worked in the call center PUMPING OUT those original Discover cards the card had 2 things going for it a) Sears was 'Wal-Mart' and 'Amazon' at the time, they didn't/ wouldn't take any credit instrument except their own ( including their 'new' major called Discover) b) they were the 1st and only at the time to do the unheard of...which was GIVE a % of 'cash-BACK' to the consumer😱

My overall point was slick marketing has a bunch of ppl CHASING CC's by 'name'...behind nonsense....yes, my daughter can get a pair of skis and a seadoo on 'points' and I'm not going to poo poo airline miles but for initial building rebuilders, especially chasing a 'pretty' or hyped up card is the same as chasing the Kardashians = much to do about very little that matters

1 day, 5 days...all I know is $1.50 per $100 = 1.5% no matter who's ink is on the card, as long as VISA is the logo...it's a Visa and the buck fifty is one dollar & fiddy cents no more, no less... Jennifer Gardner, Sam Jackson, the Rock or Yogi Bear don't make a difference IMO.

( I'll concede, when appropriate a client of mine can 'chase' an airline mile card, behind said airline and it 'could' make sense ( of course EVERYBODY travels, when the marketing pitches 'travel' rewards😷yeah, right the plumber frequently dashes to France but ok) but for many ppl it's just dog whistling towards one vendor over the next.

Don't get me wrong, marketing is great, it's my life's blood but as an insurance agent the absolute truth is most policies are basically the same freaking thing, some just lipstick their pig better but it's all still 🐖 at the end of the day....

_______

Someone mentioned PC with Cap-1 which is 'cool' to talk about but
A) The process is NOT guaranteed to be allowed, you have to ASK and see if they will ALLOW it at that time...and if you just read through THIS forum ( not just my word) one will find...the process or allow-ability of PC (product change) is/can be a miving target with Cap-1...again no hate just the honest, truth experiences of masses
Not only do I have 2 Cap-1 cards personally, as a financial services provider for over 25 years you get the ebb n flow of specific vendors...so I'm not bashi g just sharing what I as well as ppl on this forum for years ( look back) have noticed.

Another point about PC...yes one can swap the Platinum for a QS1 and I believe even a QS it still seems to fall into a 'red-lining' pattern where that specific TL grows slower and doesn't ever seem to break 'out' into the larger CLs given if an applicant 'reapplies'
Again just sharing the results that happen in real life ( there always gonna be blie moons) if one again just researches just this forum it'll validate my position....
As I said I've got Cap-1 and have counseled plenty clients regarding Cap-1...I've just concluded IMO it's a better step 2 option vs a step 1
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.