Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next steps before a mortgage?

tag
needmocredit
Established Member

Next steps before a mortgage?

So this is the month my only negative falls off my report! It's already fallen off my TU and boosted my score about 60 points putting me in the 700s! All my reports will be clear by the end of the month. The only thing I have left is about 3k in cc debt. 

Initially I thought about getting a personal loan to consolidate my cards, since all my score analysis, say no installment loans is hurting my score. Would this be a wise move? Or would it effect something with getting a mortgage approval?

Last question to throw into the mix.. I have two sub prime cards that serve no purpose anymore. After paying off all my debt, would closing them hurt my mortgage chances? I can always hold off til after I got a mortgage to close them. Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Next steps before a mortgage?

It's not a good idea to get new credit within 6 months of applying for a mortgage. As for the cards, for optimal scoring you want a minimum of 3 cards with 2 reporting a zero balance and the third reporting between 1-9% balance for that card.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.