Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next steps?

tag
Tay09
Regular Contributor

Next steps?

I sent a DV letter to a CA, I got a letter basically saying we got this account from this OC, no specifics. Oh and although the letter was mailed to me it says..Dear, Rachel White....that's not my name. So do I DV them again?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Next steps?

Lol...  DV them again, copy and send an original of the response they sent and explain that this is not you and not the information you requested.   A proper validation will include  the name of the CA, the originator of the debt and the amount of the debt.  Some will request signed contracts, and tons of other info.  This is not what a DV is.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 9
Tay09
Regular Contributor

Thanks, this last letter didn't even include the debt amount. I will mail out a new letter tomorrow.

Message 3 of 9
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

Just remember, you should not have to supply them with any information other than your name and account number of the alleged debt.  When you send back their letter stating that it is not you, they may say they need a copy of your social security (or at least the number) or a copy of your driver license, etc.  Don't do it!!!  They are to provide you with info, not the other way around.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@AZHeather wrote:

Just remember, you should not have to supply them with any information other than your name and account number of the alleged debt.  When you send back their letter stating that it is not you, they may say they need a copy of your social security (or at least the number) or a copy of your driver license, etc.  Don't do it!!!  They are to provide you with info, not the other way around.

Good luck.

Oh yes... AZ Heather has some most excellent information there.   Nice one!!!!!

July 2013 score:

Message 5 of 9
Tay09
Regular Contributor

Thank you!!

Message 6 of 9
Tay09
Regular Contributor

Also the letter says the debt was "purchased" if it was indeed purchased doesnt that mean the OC should be reporting a zero balance? The OC is still showing a balance on my credit report.

Message 7 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

If the debt was assigned to a CA and the OC still has it, then they can post an amount.  If it was CO'd and sold to a CA, then yes, it must be marked as such.

July 2013 score:

Message 8 of 9
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

@Shan922 wrote:

Also the letter says the debt was "purchased" if it was indeed purchased doesnt that mean the OC should be reporting a zero balance? The OC is still showing a balance on my credit report.

If account was in deed "sold" to a CA and not "assigned" to a CA, then the OC should report the account as a CO.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.