Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Dunning Letter But Entry On Credit File

tag
nyqutie
New Contributor

No Dunning Letter But Entry On Credit File

Hey Everyone!

Quick question!  Are collections agencies required to send out a dunning letter or required to make some type of contact prior to becoming an entry on ones credit file?  

SIDE NOTE: I have never been contacted by either the original alleged OC or this collection agency I have no idea who these people are.

Any assistance is helpful and appreciated.

Thanks

Starting Score: TU 450 EQ 491 (06 2010) Current Score: TU 746 EQ 747 EX 629 (Public Record "not" Mine can't get this darn thing OFF) (06 2013) Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800 EX 700
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: No Dunning Letter But Entry On Credit File

@nyqutie wrote:

Hey Everyone!

Quick question!  Are collections agencies required to send out a dunning letter or required to make some type of contact prior to becoming an entry on ones credit file?  

SIDE NOTE: I have never been contacted by either the original alleged OC or this collection agency I have no idea who these people are.

Any assistance is helpful and appreciated.

Thanks

This is considered one of the ways of initial contact but once they put this one your report that starts the 5 day clock on sending that dunning letter.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1    They would be in violation of FDCPA 809(a).

Additionally, you dont have to wait for a dunning letter to DV them.  If you have suffiicint contact information in your CR, I would DV them now.

If you also belive that the debt itself is not yours, that would additionally make their reporting of debt collection itself inaccurate, allowing you to dispute their reporting under the FCRA.

Message 3 of 8
nyqutie
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply!  I did send them a DV letter no response at all.  Any advice on what I should do next?

Thanks Again!

Starting Score: TU 450 EQ 491 (06 2010) Current Score: TU 746 EQ 747 EX 629 (Public Record "not" Mine can't get this darn thing OFF) (06 2013) Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800 EX 700
Message 4 of 8
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

@nyqutie wrote:

Thanks for the reply!  I did send them a DV letter no response at all.  Any advice on what I should do next?

Thanks Again!

How long ago did you send the DV letter?    And did you send it CMRRR ?

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 5 of 8
nyqutie
New Contributor

I DV'd them back in December 2010 and I did send it CMRRR.

Message 6 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

+1    They would be in violation of FDCPA 809(a).

Additionally, you dont have to wait for a dunning letter to DV them.  If you have suffiicint contact information in your CR, I would DV them now.

If you also belive that the debt itself is not yours, that would additionally make their reporting of debt collection itself inaccurate, allowing you to dispute their reporting under the FCRA.

Good point and one I often forget to mention.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 7 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@nyqutie wrote:

I DV'd them back in December 2010 and I did send it CMRRR.

Unless you live in Texas they are under no time limit to answer but they must stop collection efforts.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.