Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-late payment when starting dmp question

tag
mx6bfast
Valued Member

Non-late payment when starting dmp question

I just received my free credit and FICO score and have a question. My payment history is very good. In my credit history I have 6 total late payments of 30 days late, no 60 or more. However 5 of them where in a time when I was beginning a debt management plan back in July 2006. 2 were from 1 cc and the other 3 from another cc. I have proof that those cc companies did accept the dmp and did receive payments during those months. Should I contest those 5 late payments? I'm thinking I should because payments were made at the accepted amounts by the cc companies. Would contesting them get the late payment flag removed and increase my score? How many points does a 30 day late payment deduct from the FICO score? My other late payment was also 30 days back in 2005.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: Non-late payment when starting dmp question

The late from 2005 isn't hurting you.  The 2006 lates aren't hurting you much, but if you can...get them off...every little bit helps.

You can definitely (and should) gw these companies to have the lates removed.

Why not begin by calling them and speaking to the dept who handles the dmp?

If they say *NO*...call your DMP consultant and work with him/her.  I had EXCELLENT results this way...with all being removed. 

It could be a simple error on their part/reporting. 
Message 2 of 3
JayBeast
New Contributor

Re: Non-late payment when starting dmp question

I would agree, however, I would start with your DMP. My administrator has helped me with cleaning up my reports, in addition to managing my debt. Part of the clean up was getting rid of the lates during my transition to starting the DMP. They're already working for you, just make them aware and see what can happen.

If the DMP can't help, then send the CCC a GW letter.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.