cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not eligible for NFCU, next best option?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Not eligible for NFCU, next best option?

@Anonymous wrote:

What was your TU score?

I just joined last week and I'm thinking going for a card too. I have. Very thin file and a TU FICO of 692.

FYI. Qualifying for NFCU isn't as difficult as you might think. If you hav any immediate family member (siblings, grandparents, children, etc.) that served then you ar eligible. They don't need to be living. I qualified because my grandfather had served in WW1 for a couple weeks and he died 40 years ago. If your wife has immediate family that served served she can join and sponsor her family'

Regards

My TU FICO8 score was 733 when they pulled it.  I bet you won't have any problem getting a card with your score.  My interest is 13%, but I am good with that.  Way better that Cap1.  I would have been happy with a $5,000 instant approval, but $14,700 is better.  :-)  Good luck!

Message 31 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What was your TU score?

I just joined last week and I'm thinking going for a card too. I have. Very thin file and a TU FICO of 692.

FYI. Qualifying for NFCU isn't as difficult as you might think. If you hav any immediate family member (siblings, grandparents, children, etc.) that served then you ar eligible. They don't need to be living. I qualified because my grandfather had served in WW1 for a couple weeks and he died 40 years ago. If your wife has immediate family that served served she can join and sponsor her family'

Regards

My grandfather died a few years ago and served in the army, but I am unable to get his DD-214 because I can't get in touch with my mother or aunts so they can request it. Were you required to provide this, and how did you get it if you were? When I called I was told I HAD to have it, but I just don't know how to do it since only immediate family can request.

Message 32 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

My grandfather died a few years ago and served in the army, but I am unable to get his DD-214 because I can't get in touch with my mother or aunts so they can request it. Were you required to provide this, and how did you get it if you were? When I called I was told I HAD to have it, but I just don't know how to do it since only immediate family can request.

I was able to get through my adopted brother (we are not close, so I hated to ask but got desperate enough to do it). I didn't need a DD-214 he was a current member.   What about wife's family?  Or possibly step family?  You might try Alliant CU, or PenFed instead.  I didn't have any luck with PenFed.  Waiting on Recon still.  They are a bit conservative though. 

Message 33 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was able to get through my adopted brother (we are not close, so I hated to ask but got desperate enough to do it). I didn't need a DD-214 he was a current member.   What about wife's family?  Or possibly step family?  You might try Alliant CU, or PenFed instead.  I didn't have any luck with PenFed.  Waiting on Recon still.  They are a bit conservative though. 

My husband is estranged from his family, and I can't get in touch with my mother to find out if her husband was ever in the military. I don't have her new phone number, and I can't get my aunt to answer the phone so I can get it from her. In fact, I just called the non-emergency line and requested a welfare check on her since she hasn't answered her phone in several days. She's 73 and lives alone.

I was denied by PenFed, but I knew I would be. My credit is in the rebuilding stage and still quite bad.

Message 34 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call again. There were no questions. The CSR checked with his supervisor. I think they asked his name and that was all. NO paper work needed. Keep calling until you get the right CSR.

Message 35 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Grandfather is considered immedialte family by them. Parents, siblings and children. I think that would include step parents and children. It was VERY easy.

Message 36 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Call again. There were no questions. The CSR checked with his supervisor. I think they asked his name and that was all. NO paper work needed. Keep calling until you get the right CSR.

Okay, I just apped on the phone. The woman was very nice and didn't ask for any documentation, however she said it had been forwarded to their account department for review and I would hear something in 3-5 days. I can provide his enlistment date and his Army serial number. I hope that will be enough for them since I can't obtain a DD-214 at the moment.

Message 37 of 48
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

tara were you trying to just join NFCU or app for a card? Because even if declined you should still join and build that relationship trust me. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 38 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sandman771 wrote:

tara were you trying to just join NFCU or app for a card? Because even if declined you should still join and build that relationship trust me. 

Just trying to join. I doubt I could get any credit with them since my TU FICO is only 541 (don't know my other two) and I have several baddies.

Message 39 of 48
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

I would join and if possible maybe get their secured card and just garden for a while and work ont he bad stuff. That is what I'm doing now. 

From anecdotal evidence on here the secured card graduates nicely and their CLIs are extremely generous as well as the relationship is what they appreciate the most. Not as conservative as Pen Fed. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 40 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.