Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure if AU is helping or hurting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if AU is helping or hurting

I added my fiancée to my capital one in Dec and wondering if it’s hurting his FICO Mortgage Scores? Opened it in May 2013 CL 500$. Utilization is kept 5% ever since I added him this past Dec. In 2014- 2915 I had 30/ 120 day lates but ever since then I’ve paid on time and it reports in good standing. Would those lates from 2014/15 hurt him several points or should I just keep him as AU? I need his score to reach at least 640 ASAP for preapproval on a mortgage. His current middle score is 599. He also has his own cc history which is good the past three years with three diff cards that he keeps low balances on.
9 REPLIES 9
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Re: Not sure if AU is helping or hurting

Yes, your payment history will reflect on his reports being an AU. Call and have your fiance removed. Seems with 3 years of credit building themselves, timely payment, low utilization, the scores should improve. 

In underwriting, they may request any AUs to be removed to gauge their personal credit worthiness. An AU for scoring purposes should only be if the person they are using is using a card with a good bit longer credit history than their own. Example card was open 5 years or more, and they only had a month to a year history. It must be either 0 or low utilization, as they will be using their cards also for payment history. Try having your finance paid all cards to zero except one, preferably a bank card with a balance greater than 0 but no higher than 8.9%% of total tradeline. Sometimes you can be dinged for carrying a balance, regardless of low amount, on over 2. 3 cards or more. 

Message 2 of 10
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Even though you state he has 3 years history on his own, does he have an derogs on his reports? Previous lates (not the AU account he is on with you), collections, a BK?

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes he has five collections from about 2-6 years ago which he recently settled three weeks ago all were under 800$ each. They were not deleted. He also was late on car note and mortgage approx 4-5 years ago for about 60-120 days. I’m scared to keep him on as AU and scared to remove him help !
Message 4 of 10
DollyLama
Established Contributor

His credit history is older than your AU card, both have derogs, or scorecard is dirty. It is not helping him at all keeping him on yours. 

His paid collections, did he ask for a pay for delete? Sometimes it can be up to 60 days for removal if they agreed. Has he tried goodwill letters on the late pays on the others?

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

He said one creditor deleted but other four refused. That was three weeks ago so I’m hoping the next Fico report will update with that deletion. We are in process of disputing the lates on the mortgage and car loan and also disputing the paid collections to see if the CAs ignore us and delete by default. So definitely remove him as AU? I don’t want his score to drop. It’s only been reporting him as AU since Jan 21 cycle.
Message 6 of 10
DollyLama
Established Contributor

His score would only drop if you had pristine credit history the entire time with said creditor, and longer overall credit history (for length of credit history). It fits neither. 

One less account with derogatory credit. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just removed him! Any guess how many points he will gain nowif any? Thanks so much for your wisdom!
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone?
Message 9 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymouswrote:
I just removed him! Any guess how many points he will gain nowif any? Thanks so much for your wisdom!

There is really no way to know how many Fico points he is going to gain.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.