Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure what to do about a collection on my report

tag
L3K
Established Member

Re: Not sure what to do about a collection on my report

I settled my Portfolio accounts online via their chat.

Message 11 of 18
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the info. 

Can I ask you how did you initiate everything? By phone call or by certified mail? I think I should do it by mail probably but I'm not sure.

I also just did it by the chat online. I don't like talking to these people and they initiate the offer the same day and set up the payment for whatever day you want.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't believe this but I totally butchered the name of the collection agency. It's actually Cavalry Portfolio Services. I think they do PFD also?

Message 13 of 18
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't believe this but I totally butchered the name of the collection agency. It's actually Cavalry Portfolio Services. I think they do PFD also?

Lol well cavalry also does PFD luckily. I've just never dealt with them personally. Here is a url to the collection agency list that does PFD: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Collection-agencies-that-do-PFD/m-p/5675391 just in case.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Follow up to a previous post re: Cavalry Portfolio Services

I finally worked up the courage to call Cavalry Portfolio Services this morning and a not so friendly operator told me that my account is in the hands of a law firm and gave me their name and number.

Just a little confused as all the info on my reports says Cavalry Portfolio Services. 

Not sure what my next step should be. Thanks for any help. 

My previous post:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Not-sure-what-to-do-about-a-collection-on-my...

Message 15 of 18
mycreditscoreisfair
Frequent Contributor

Re: Follow up to a previous post re: Cavalry Portfolio Services

My advice would be to call the number he gave you and talk to them about arranging payment before you get sued.

Starting score (January 2020): 454 (TU)
First goal (December 2020): 580 (TU)
Second goal (August 2021): 670 (TU)
Current scores: 679 (TU), 665 (EQ), 658 (EX)
Current goal: All three bureaus over 670

Declined credit cards: First Premier Bank, Verve, Self, Credit One, Today Smiley Happy
Message 16 of 18
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Unfortunately you're not going to be able to ride it out until it falls off. The fact that they hired a law firm now means they're getting ready to sue you. So as suggested above, I'd contact the law firm and work out a payment arrangement for the full amount or a settlement for less. They'll still delete after paid in full or settled, there just may be a bit of extra time to do so now since it's going through a law firm now.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 17 of 18
House2021
Established Contributor

Interestingly, Cavalry attempted to serve my mom with a lawsuit, My mom just a didn't answer the door for the process server, they only tried once or twice, the suit didn't proceed forward and they never pursued court again and certainly never got a judgment. If you pay one collection and they don't delete it, then other creditors will instantly come out of the woodwork right and left, that's what happened to my mom when she did answer the door and was served for a lawsuit by a different collection agency. 

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.