Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure where to start...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure where to start...

I ruled out BK, I have made changes in my life and have sold items taking me to a total of $5k to pay my debts and potentially get a secured card to rebuild my credit. I read the SOL in California is 4 years, my debts are pretty fresh from 2017 to present. 

This is what I owe:

Wells Fargo Card Services - $2,177.49 (they offered me a settlement of $870.96)

Plaza Services - $2,717

Contract Callers Inc - $1,074

Jefferson Capital System - $749 (they offered me a settlement of $449.88)

The Bureaus - $674

LVNV Funding LLC - $580

Progressive Management - $100

Progressive Management - $75

My plan is to buy a house next Summer if possible so I do need to start fixing my credit. Can I settle and send GW letters? ir PFD's? I am confused and don't know where to start.

Any assistance would be great. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Not sure where to start...

Welcome. First step is to fix whats broken.  Looks like you have enough to pay them all off. Better paid than owed and they'll quit reporting on a monthly basis. Once you've completed PIF. The the time willcome to shop for a secured card.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I try to settle all of them? And if so, how much do people settle for, 30% off? Otherwise 5k might not be enough to pay the full balance of each. 

Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Welcome. First step is to fix whats broken.  Looks like you have enough to pay them all off. Better paid than owed and they'll quit reporting on a monthly basis. Once you've completed PIF. The the time willcome to shop for a secured card.

FireMedic1, I had no idea that you could have mid 7 fico 8 scores and over 800 fico 09 scores just 4 years after BK DC. The BK has to still show on the report, and yet it does not keep your score lower? That is remarkable. I would venture a guess that you had a mortgage when you filed that you were paying to help with the recovery, but the fico 9 scores are really amazing to me.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 4 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

It looks like WF gave you an offer. Yes you can negociate a pay off and also ask what would it take to PFD. Jefferson is known to delete. Its like lets make a deal. The older the better. Its always better to say on your reports PIF rather than settled for less. But sometimes we dont have a choice and just want to rid ourselves from it and be done.

Message 5 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

FireMedic1, I had no idea that you could have mid 7 fico 8 scores and over 800 fico 09 scores just 4 years after BK DC. The BK has to still show on the report, and yet it does not keep your score lower? That is remarkable. I would venture a guess that you had a mortgage when you filed that you were paying to help with the recovery, but the fico 9 scores are really amazing to me.

Nope. Only cards on file were old, real old and closed by me to get rid of them when I went anti-credit card. Only had car loans every 2 -3 yrs back to back to keep up with the newest Mustang GT's. Then the IRS found me after 14 yrs. Thats all it took. A few collections that went poof after BK. And one 30 day late that was 2yrs old. Now its 6yrs old.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.