cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of zero balance cards to make a difference?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Number of zero balance cards to make a difference?

I have 9 credit cards and I just recently got my overall UL from ~62% to ~31% including paying one down to 0. However, I have another card (Bass Pro Shops) that only has a balance of $80 (CL is $1k, so currently 8% UL). Will it make much of a difference right now, this month if I pay that card off down to a zero balance? It will have no significance on either my aggregate UL or my DTI, so I am curious if there is much significance between 1 and 2 cards with a 0 balance.

Aggregate UL: ~32%

Bass Pro

CL: 1000, Balance: 80, UL: 8%

Best Buy

CL: 2000, Balane: 940, UL: 47%

Credit One

CL: 2000, Balance: 940, UL: 47%

Genesis (line of credit for a mattress that apppears as a CC)

CL 2000, Balance: 220, UL: 11%

Ollo

CL: 600, Balance: 280, UL: 47%

Overstock

CL: 800, Balance: 220, UL: 28%

Cap One Platinum:

CL: 500, Balance: 0, UL: 0%

Cap One Quicksilver

CL: 750, Balance 350, UL: 47%

Target:

CL: 300, Balance 115, UL: 39%

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
myscorerocks
Regular Contributor

Re: Number of zero balance cards to make a difference?

I recently had a card that I paid to $0, but the interest tacked on, so my balance was $53. I got the credit card company to force a new report after it was $0. It's only reported to one bureau so far, but my score went up 3 points. I'll update on the other two once they report, but I think the answer is yes. It does matter or it did for me. Lots of things in play when dealing with credit, but the card reported and then the updated reported 2 days later before anything else happened, and my score increased. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, i just went ahead and paid it off, so we'll see what happens. Thanks.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same happened to me. Paid off two AmEx cards and when they reported, it was with a $6 and a $7 balance, which I was hoping to avoid. I paid those immediately and will see what happens next time. I have four cards closing between today and tomorrow and two are zero balance. I’m hoping they won’t report with interest but I think they will. I’ll follow up with score updates once I get cards cutting with zero balances.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suppose I did not factor in interest. Luckily, my BPS card is only 9.99% and I never had more than ~$150 balance, so it should be a dollar or less if anything. My Cap One Platinum will probably be a little bit, though.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.