Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OK here's another ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK here's another ?

Graduated nursing school in June of 2004. There is an account on my TU from the school claiming I owed them $224. This is showing currently pays as agrees and with a 120 day late from last Oct.

Now to clarify. I didn't know about the debt until last summer when a collection agency sent me a letter and I paid it in full. The collection agency never put it on my CR. I pulled TU and there it was about 6 weeks ago. I disputed it and it came back validated.

At this point I don't care if it stays on my credit report but I would prefer it be off. I also want them to correct their info. This is a debt from 2004-2005. Is it legal for them to have it on my report as current and still showing that it is open and 120 days late as of last October? This whole credit report thing is starting to give me ulcers. My TU score as of today is 641. I really can't afford this extra baddie. I do have other uglies from a couple of years ago but everything since 2005 has been paid on time and since then my record is spotless. What are my options?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: OK here's another ?

Send the CA a DV letter. If they can't validate, they have to remove the TL! If it's from '04, they might not be able to validate.

Or, conversely, you can send them a GW letter asking them to please remove the TL altogether!

If one doesn't work, try the other. In the case of GWs, you may have to send oodles. Sometimes they work simply by wearing them down.

Who's the CA on this debt? Chances are, someone else has dealt with them and can give you some tips on wording your letter and overall dealing with them!
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

UpTheDernCreek wrote:
Graduated nursing school in June of 2004. There is an account on my TU from the school claiming I owed them $224. This is showing currently pays as agrees and with a 120 day late from last Oct.

Who is report the school ??  it is inaccurate reporting

Now to clarify. I didn't know about the debt until last summer when a collection agency sent me a letter and I paid it in full. The collection agency never put it on my CR. I pulled TU and there it was about 6 weeks ago. I disputed it and it came back validated.

Who did you pay the OC or CA?   The correct way would have been with a PFD to the school.    IF you paid the CA  they should report collection/PAID

If the CA is reporting...send them a DV letter  CMRRR

At this point I don't care if it stays on my credit report but I would prefer it be off. I also want them to correct their info. This is a debt from 2004-2005. Is it legal for them to have it on my report as current and still showing that it is open and 120 days late as of last October? This whole credit report thing is starting to give me ulcers. My TU score as of today is 641. I really can't afford this extra baddie. I do have other uglies from a couple of years ago but everything since 2005 has been paid on time and since then my record is spotless. What are my options?

NEVER file a dispute on baddies UNLESS you know that it is not accurate.....when a baddie was last reported a few years before a dispute coming back as verified will update and FICO will read it as a new baddie.
        All baddies lose their punch (scoring) as they age

Thanks!

No they can not report that you owe if it is paid........is the school reporting and a CA??

Message Edited by HappyDays on 07-01-2008 02:26 PM
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The OC is reporting it as current. The CA took the payment and told the OC that it was paid in full. So why the OC is still reporting it is beyond me. I guess I will GW them too and hope for the best.

The thing is I have moved twice since I graduated. I never received a dern thing from the school. When I received the info from the collection agency, I paid promptly. I never thought the OC would report it to the CA. BTW this is only showing up on TU.

I am soo sick of CR's and OC's and CA's!!!!!   I Want MY MoMMY!!  Smiley Tongue
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
The OC is reporting it as current. The CA took the payment and told the OC that it was paid in full. So why the OC is still reporting it is beyond me. I guess I will GW them too and hope for the best.
The thing is I have moved twice since I graduated. I never received a dern thing from the school. When I received the info from the collection agency, I paid promptly. I never thought the OC would report it to the CA. BTW this is only showing up on TU.
I am soo sick of CR's and OC's and CA's!!!!! I Want MY MoMMY!! Smiley Tongue

Hubby's BTDT.

About a year ago, hubby needed his undergrad transcripts (UoSA)and found out that he had a $60 fine from his dorm days (we're talking about 18 years ago!). Funny thing is, he left prior to the roommate leaving, out-processed and was told, years later, that everything was kopecetic. He even obtained his transcripts about 15 years after graduating! So the debt wasn't held against him until 2003 (does that make ANY sense to anyone??).

So in the end, even though no one could say WHY he had the debt/fine, and I'm sure they couldn't have validated it and the SoL was MORE than over, we paid the *bleeping* thing just so we could get his transcripts. :/

I think schools are probably the worst when it comes to that sort of organization! Smiley Mad
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, and I forgot to add that we've moved, too. But isn't it amazing how the publicity and donations/alumni department has ALWAYS been able to find us?? At least 4 times a month we receive something from them, asking for a donation.

Yet, isn't it AMAZING how they couldn't find us to bill us for the dorm fees?? o_O
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

UpTheDernCreek wrote:

Thanks!

As far as them reporting recently on a paid debt, they have that right.

However, if they are reporting a 120 day late AFTER it was paid and reporting it as unpaid, they are reporting inaccurately.

You can DV as other's suggested, but they may just simply reply that your time has expired to request DV, since you obviously knew it about it last summer when you paid them.

IMO, I would skip the DV and I would write them a strongly worded letter stating that reporting errors when they have knowledge that such errors exist is a violation of FCRA. I'd point out that reporting it as open, unpaid, and 120 days late after it was paid and closed, is clear violations. You can either sue for FCRA violations, which you have your reciepts to prove payment date and your CRs to prove their violations or they can simply remove the debt from your report and you'll both forget this ever happened.

A recent 120 day late is killing you, IMO.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.