cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMG. 10 year old judgment came up on title search!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

OMG. 10 year old judgment came up on title search!

I was sued by a landlord in 2006. I was going through a very messy marital situation and just let them win... I didn't even answer the lawsuit. I'm 98% sure I paid the judgment but it's over $6,000 and just came up on a title search as unpaid. This could prevent me from getting financing. I'm kind of freakinb out.

This isn't on my credit reports and I completely forgot about it. Now I have to try to get bank statements from an account I closed years ago. And if it wasn't paid back then, I will have to settle it or pay in full. $6000!!

Awful day.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Re: OMG. 10 year old judgment came up on title search!

So sorry to hear this bad news , I hope you can get it resolved without having to pay that 6k ..that's alot .
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to contact the owner of the judgment, and have them verify to the court that it has been paid.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

It just gets worse... Bank of America only keeps bank statements for seven years. So I literally can't prove I paid this!

I emailed the married couple who took me to court, but one email was returned immediately. I found them on Facebook and messaged them there, plus found the name of their attorney by buying the original default order online and emailed her, too.

I happened to have one super old credit report from early 2012 and there is no collection agency or anything on there for the judgment. I really think this must've been paid. Why on Earth would someone take me to court as a private party, after hiring a lawyer, and then do nothing to collect once they were awarded a judgment? But until I can prove I paid it or one of them replies and is willing to file the correct paperwork, I am screwed. AWFUL.

Message 4 of 15
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry , this is a terrible mess your dealing with, this is what I worry about happening to us when we get ready to buy our house next fall . I've paid or am paying every debt I can think of that could sneak up on us but these things always seem to pop up when your close to buying your home, I really hope you get this resolved without having to DOUBLE pay for it .
Message 5 of 15
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Also have you spoken to your loan officer about this ? Maybe they can offer some kind of solution for you perhaps . And is this a conventional loan or FHA loan that you are getting ?
Message 6 of 15
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

I'm so sorry, I am so worried that I have a judgement from 2006 when there was a fire in my condo and dos damage. I was never served but after for a few months stayed w a friend so that's no excuse. I don't know if it even happened but imagine so. I did not check my reports back the so.. How can I find out before I apply?
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't talked to the lender at all yet... this report was issued to them on the 13th and they proceeded with my disclosures and everything, and then on Friday morning they told me my loan is in processing now and will go into final underwriting next week. So I thought everything was fine.

But then the title company emailed me late Friday afternoon to ask if this debt had been paid, and if I had proof of payment. I really don't know to what degree this will impact my mortgage but everything online sounds really bad. And, of course, it's a weekend so I'm just stewing over it without any ability to DO anything.

It's an FHA loan and obviously $6,000 is a drop in the bucket to the total mortgage... but I'm still scared they will decide not to move forward unless I pay it. I can pay it (again!) if I absolutely have to but it will take every dime I have and I won't even have enough left to physically move. What a mess.

Fingers massively crossed that something good happens next week so I can stop worrying about this. I was literally up all night tossing and turning and having terrible nightmares about this dang thing. I never expected something like this to happen... ugh.

Message 8 of 15
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry , I do hope you catch a break on this , please keep us posted and let us know what is going on with it, good luck to you !
Message 9 of 15
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Sorry you are going through this, and hope it gets worked out for you. This is a good data point for those who just let debt fall off their reports unpaid, even though this may not apply to the OP. It can still be found and become a problem when applying for certain things. It is a good thing to be aware of.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.