Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obtaining statements for a CA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Obtaining statements for a CA

Due to divorce and the spoils of war, I hadn't checked my credit reports for several years. I only recently started to check my reports again and discovered that an old joint credit card had gone to collection. My divorce was finalized in 2012 and the credit card debt was assigned to her post-divorce through other lawsuits. I have not had a card or used that account since 2010, when all our accounts should have been closed. Apparently, she kept this account open. Upon doing more research I found that she was sued by Portfolio Recovery and they must have come to an agreement because I can see it was dismissed and regular payments were made for the past 2 years and the debt was only recently paid off. 

I have twice disputed this account and they will not remove it from my report as I am listed as a joint account holder. The date the collection opened was in 2018, 6 years after my divorce was finalized. I have tried to contact the credit card company for statements but they refuse to discuss the account with me since they sold the debt. Do I have any recourse for this account being used post-divorce and without my knowledge or consent? This seems like fraud to me. I've searched the internet and cannot find any answers, any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Obtaining statements for a CA

Have you tried sending the divorce documents showing you were released by the judge from all credit cards? She went against the ruling.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know that's an option for removal, but I am more looking for information at this point on how to obtain the statements to show use post-divorce. 

Message 3 of 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Ok. Maybe call the company and ask for the final statement. Tough hill to climb. Good Luck

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I've tried and as I said they won't discuss the account with me since they sold the debt. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.