Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obtaining the DoFD through Experian

tag
huzchris
Valued Member

Obtaining the DoFD through Experian

So, I have a collection account on my Experian report that I can not seem to get any DoFD from the report. I know the 7 Year + 180 Day window was up the end of March 2018 from going back through my ENTIRE bank history for the last 9 years. I tried to dispute it online under the "Other" selection with a brief explanation stating it was past the 7 1/2 year window of the DoFD.  Two days later it came back "Verified" as satying on my report. I've ordered my annual free reports in hopes of finding out the actual date they have but I am not sure if those come as a hard paper copy in the mail but it did allow me to view it online and it says NOTHING about the date in question. Is there a way to have them verify over the phone or do I need to send a DV letter? The collection is reporting as Wakefield & Associates from a Gold's Gym membership I once had. Anyone with any information or direction would be GREATLY appreciated!!! 

Starting Score: 486
Current Score: 775
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

|| NFCU CashRewards $19K || Amazon Prime $11K || PenFed PowerCash Rewards $17.5K || Citi Costco $8.1K || Discover Chrome $8K || AmEx BlueCashPreferred $5K || Citi Rewards+ $2.3K || Apple $2K || AmEx Green || CAL Ranch $13.1K || Sportsman's Guide $4K || Fingerhut $1.6K ||
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Obtaining the DoFD through Experian

Try an informal call, as if it is actually reporting such that it is now past the 7 years plus 180 day period, the CRA will exclude promptly.

It would be a clear violation for them not to do so, and they are normally very cautious about any clear violations of the exclusion period.

If they check and there is no DOFD of record for the collection, then the debt collector is in violation of FCRA 623(a)(5), which requires a debt collector to separately report the DOFD to the CRA no later than 90 days after reporting of their collection.

The CRA will likely then either ask you to file a dispute, or to send documentation of the DOFD.

If the DOFD is reported and has a date that is not yet 7 years plus 180 days prior, you will need to file a formal dispute with the CRA to get it corrected.

In the event that the CRA stonewalls and will not informally provide the DOFD, then you can file a formal requirement under FCRA 609(a), which provides a consumer the right to obtain any information of record in their file.  Requests under section 609(a) require a processing fee, which is currently $11.00.

Message 2 of 3
huzchris
Valued Member

Re: Obtaining the DoFD through Experian

Thank you! I will get on that today. Thanks again for the detailed response. This helps out a ton!!!
Starting Score: 486
Current Score: 775
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

|| NFCU CashRewards $19K || Amazon Prime $11K || PenFed PowerCash Rewards $17.5K || Citi Costco $8.1K || Discover Chrome $8K || AmEx BlueCashPreferred $5K || Citi Rewards+ $2.3K || Apple $2K || AmEx Green || CAL Ranch $13.1K || Sportsman's Guide $4K || Fingerhut $1.6K ||
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.