Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odds of collection appearing on reports during a weekend/holiday

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Odds of collection appearing on reports during a weekend/holiday

I am about to close on a new home early next week and have anxiety over a yet to be reported collection popping up on my three credit reports. My realtor said the odds of activity is very low - that the collection agency celebrates Memorial Day just as all businesses. Can anyone speak from experience - do the collection agencies and the credit bureaus go still over major holidays?

I am so close to the finish line and someone confirming that my realtor's advice is sound would be wonderful.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Odds of collection appearing on reports during a weekend/holiday

Yes, that's correct. It's a federal holiday, which many companies will recognize, including CA and CRA. COVID has also caused delayed reporting for both CA and CRA.
It may not hit until you're mortgage has closed.

Message 2 of 7
mycreditscoreisfair
Frequent Contributor

I would guess that any collection agency that was going to report/contact you would have done so when your soft/hard pulls for your mortgage went through. If you made it this far, I would bet you're probably safe.

Starting score (January 2020): 454 (TU)
First goal (December 2020): 580 (TU)
Second goal (August 2021): 670 (TU)
Current scores: 679 (TU), 665 (EQ), 658 (EX)
Current goal: All three bureaus over 670

Declined credit cards: First Premier Bank, Verve, Self, Credit One, Today Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 7
House2021
Established Contributor

Is it a small amount? Could you just contact the, and pay it before it reports?

Message 4 of 7
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@House2021 wrote:

That wouldn't be wise a couple days before finalization, best done after. Being so close, that could potentially invite a hornets nest. Only if LO requested that.@House2021 wrote:

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah no, this is no small collection. It is a significant collection and I will most attempt to arrange a pay for delete after we close. Thanks eveyone for all the helpful advice and insights!

Message 6 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I am about to close on a new home early next week and have anxiety over a yet to be reported collection popping up on my three credit reports. My realtor said the odds of activity is very low - that the collection agency celebrates Memorial Day just as all businesses. Can anyone speak from experience - do the collection agencies and the credit bureaus go still over major holidays?

I am so close to the finish line and someone confirming that my realtor's advice is sound would be wonderful.

If they use automated reporting then they are live 24/7/365, if they are smaller outfit using manual then there is no reporting if they are closed.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.