Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official Rebuild

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Official Rebuild

Late growing up in life and trying to get good credit.  I'm not up on all the lingo, so please bare with me.

gor

I was in default with student loans, I had lots of medical bills, and was just not a responsible person.

Along comes issues and now I'm raising a child (relative of mine) and want to make sure that I set a good example.  So, we're kind of growing up together now...just in different ways!

I received a call and was told that my student loans could get out of default.  Went through that process and after 10 months, they were out of default and I chose the option to go with Navient and now I have a loan forgiveness plan set up.  My payments are very low each month and easily manageable and I have all on-time payments going for about 7 months now.  However, the total is almost 30K remaining.

In March, I received a credit card offer from Capital One and was granted a $300 credit line.  Got the card and started making purchases with it and then immediately paid the balance off when I received the statement.  I was then awarded this month a JC Penney card with a $500 limit.

Truthfully, this is my whole available credit line.  I did go to the Capital One site and requested an increase and they increased it by $100 to a total of $400.

I applied for a car back in 2015 and was obviously denied and have lots of hard inquiries on my account that will fall off in August.  

I have been using the Credit Karma app as well as the Credit Wise app from Capital One.  However, I'm learning by reading on here that they are essentially useless.

Credit Karma states Transunion is 602.  Equifax is 608.  Just for reference.

I do have 4 derogatory medical bills dating back to dating back to 2012 / 2013 / 2014.  They have all been turned over to a collection agency.

I did go to the recommended sites I found on here to get the FICO scores.  

Credit.com states my score is 612.

I went to the Discover Creditscorecard.com site and it states that my FICO Score 8 is 643.

So...I obviously need help on how to proceed.  Can anyone offer suggestions on what my next steps should be?  

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
stargazer25
Regular Contributor

Re: Official Rebuild

First things first, pay for your real credit scores. It gives you the numbers that lenders use to give credit. Also you want to check any discrepencies between CB's.

Existing defaults:

Is PFD an option money wise and or CA wise?

Does your hospital have Charity Care?

New Credit:

Ideal case scenario is 3 credit cards and 1 installment loan with less than 10% utilization rate. You could possibly do a secured that converts into a regular CC?

Starting Scores: September 2015 minus 500 across the board
Current Scores: October 2017 EQ: 715 TU: 710 EX: 716
In My Wallet:
Cap1 QS: $4.8K - AMEX BCP: $4.2K - Old Navy Visa: $7K - Nordstrom $3.8K - VS $500 (FTW!)
BofA AU: $12K AMEX AU: $25K
Business: AMEX BCP $15K
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for responding!

Again, I'm new to all of this.  So please bare with me and my questions I'll inevitably have.

Where would be the best place to pay for the real credit scores?  Is there a site that is preferred by most here?

In regards to the defaults:  As of right now...money wise it really isn't feasible.  I am unsure about the Charity Care item you mentioned, so I will have to do some research.  If you are talking about where they help with your bills, would that be an option since they are old bills and I do have gainful employment at this time?  If that is something I need to research with them, then I will and forgive me for asking yet another question.

In regards to the New Credit:  I was reading about the installment loan process through Allient SSL on here and I did sign up with them last night, although I don't have a member number yet, so nothing has been done.  You mentioned 3 credit cards...would you suggest I try for ones that are not secured and take the risk, or skip that option and go strictly for ones that are secured only?  Any recommendations on which ones to apply for?  

Thank you again for responding. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 20
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

You can get all 3 FICO 8 scores from Credit Check Total. It's $1 for a 7 day trial membership.

I would concentrate on getting the collections paid off and deleted before worrying about a secured credit card. Considering they're very old, you may have luck with settlements for less than the amount owed. How recently have they updated the credit bureaus?

As for Alliant, you have installment loans so you don't need to do the SSL technique. Your student loans will count towards that.

Make sure you pay your current credit cards before the statement cuts, not by the due date. Pay 1 to $0 and pay the other down to $10.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

You want to immediately get a 3rd credit card for a FICO boost -- 3 cards is a basically a free FICO boost without an age penalty.  Might try Discover.  In my sig is a link to prequalification pages, try those.

Practice the AZEO method which may give you a small boost in scores.  Search for AZEO here.

I recommend the WhyChat method for medical collections.  Google WhyChat Medical for help there, it has helped a lot of friends of mine get their medical debts satisfied and deleted.

Message 5 of 20
jdxprs1
Frequent Contributor

What is your income?

What's your goal? I.e. Car loan, home loan?

A fico 8 of 643 isn't as bad as you think.
Last app 1/2/2017.
In the garden until at least 6/2/2017.
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your responses.  I truly appreciate it.

My income is around 32-35K

Honestly, I just want to be a good example going forward and try to teach responsibility to the child I am taking care of now.  And how can I be responsible if not by example.

In terms of credit score goal, I want to reach/exceed 740.  That's just a good number I believe.

I will research all of the information and update this evening on my steps I took.

Again, thank you to those who have offered advice and replied. 

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You want to immediately get a 3rd credit card for a FICO boost -- 3 cards is a basically a free FICO boost without an age penalty.  Might try Discover.  In my sig is a link to prequalification pages, try those.

Practice the AZEO method which may give you a small boost in scores.  Search for AZEO here.

I recommend the WhyChat method for medical collections.  Google WhyChat Medical for help there, it has helped a lot of friends of mine get their medical debts satisfied and deleted.

I went to the prequalification pages and applied for the AMEX and DISCOVER cards and was denied for both.

@medicgrrl wrote:

You can get all 3 FICO 8 scores from Credit Check Total. It's $1 for a 7 day trial membership.

I would concentrate on getting the collections paid off and deleted before worrying about a secured credit card. Considering they're very old, you may have luck with settlements for less than the amount owed. How recently have they updated the credit bureaus?

As for Alliant, you have installment loans so you don't need to do the SSL technique. Your student loans will count towards that.

Make sure you pay your current credit cards before the statement cuts, not by the due date. Pay 1 to $0 and pay the other down to $10.

I did obtain the Credit Check Total scores.  They are as follows:

Experian: 631

Equifax: 654

Transunion: 646

The AMEX denial letter stated my Experian FICO Score was 643.  The denial letter states the following:

There is a derogatory public record or collection agency record.
There are too few accounts currently paid as agreed.  (Other than the collections, everything else is paid up!)
The ratio of loan balances to the loan amounts is too high.  (Would the student loans affect this amount?)
The length of time your accounts have been established.

The DISCOVER denial letter stated my Equifax FICO Score was 660.  DISCOVER simply listed "INSUFFICIENT CREDIT HISTORY".

Consider me even more confused now.

Message 8 of 20
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

You really need to work on the collections first. Once you get those settled, and possibly deleted, it'll open up more doors for you. You don't sound like you're in a rush so I would take the time to get your report as clean as possible and then attempt to acquire another good card or 2.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@medicgrrl wrote:
You really need to work on the collections first. Once you get those settled, and possibly deleted, it'll open up more doors for you. You don't sound like you're in a rush so I would take the time to get your report as clean as possible and then attempt to acquire another good card or 2.

Thank you for your responses. Smiley Happy

I will work on this!  I do have one other question if you will allow me to be a bother one more time.

With the student loans, how big of a negative are those on the reports/credit score?  Or do they simply look at the payment history?  The loan forgiveness won't be for a total of 10 years and I'm only 7 months in.  

My reason for asking is that on the reports themselves, it states Debt-To-Credit and lists this percentage as 101%!

However, with my cards in play at 13% (at the time the reports were ran), it brings the total down to 99%.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.